Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Puddle Duck's Avatar
Puddle Duck
Senior Member
Puddle Duck is offline
Cheshire. UK
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,173
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-10-2019, 08:30 PM
1

DUTCH Super Trawler

https://politicaluk.co.uk/2019/10/th...2vj6iRxbQYJwjs


Thousands Sign Petition Demanding Boris Bans EU Fishing Trawler 14 Times Larger Than British Vessels

Thousands have signed a petition no the government website demanding that “super trawlers” should be banned from UK waters.

This outcry comes after a Dutch super trawler which is 14 times larger than Brtish fishing vessels was seen 14 miles off the coast of Sussex.

The vessel is capable of processing 250,000 tonnes of fish per day and is 1,950ft in length. It is Dutch-owned Margiris and sails under a Lithuanian flag.

Voters fear that the Dutch boat will massively decrease the fish population for British fishermen once the UK leaves the EU. The government intends to take the UK out of the Common Fisheries Policy.

Brexit Party MEP, June Mummery said: “It is huge, it’s a monster. It was banned from Australia and was boarded by Greenpeace activists in Chile. But she’s here and she’s here legally because of the CFP.

“The Margiris carries 6,200 tonnes of cargo and can process 250,000 tonnes of fish per day. They are looking after themselves, the Dutch.

“It’s only 14 miles off the Sussex coast – that’s unbelievable! It’s not sustainable fishing, they’re going to take it all, all the plankton. Their aim is to catch mackerel and herring but the other fish that they catch are dolphins, bluefin tuna, sea bass and John Dory. Local fishermen are banned from catching sea bass

The petition titled “Ban super trawlers from fishing in UK waters.” argues: “Margiris, the second-largest trawler in the world, was spotted off the coast of the Isle of Wight at the end of September. The UK Government should work internationally to ban these trawlers and remove them from UK waters.”

Petition Here :
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/276308

Don't forget your signature has to be clicked on the link to your email ,to make it valid.
Reply With Quote
Solasch
Senior Member
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 4,492
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-10-2019, 08:38 PM
2

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

You must be soooo happy with the EU, because it sets quota, and even the margiris cannot exceed those quota. Wether 1 dutch supertrawler or 10 small dutch trawlers fish these quota is a matter of indifference to the british. As you know they sold their fishing rights for good money.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,367
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-10-2019, 09:21 PM
3

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

Signed - for what it's worth!
Since when has the government taken any notice of petitions?

If we had a government worth talking about, they'd employ RN vessels to counter this and other thieves.

And our vessels have weapons to make themselves far more convincing!
Reply With Quote
Dodge's Avatar
Dodge
Senior Member
Dodge is offline
Kent, UK
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 290
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-10-2019, 10:32 PM
4

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

This was picked up 2 weeks ago by the tabloid press. I remember reading it in the free Metro paper. The government already stated that whilst they are aware of the boat, there is nothing they can do because the boat is operating within EU rules. According to the paper a team of inspectors boarded the boat to make sure it was operating legally, and it was. Observers believe the boat is in British waters to grab as much fish as possible before the UK leaves the EU because then then all other EU countries lose the right to fish in UK waters and the UK then has the right to use force to remove them from UK waters.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,367
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
13-10-2019, 11:24 PM
5

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
This was picked up 2 weeks ago by the tabloid press. I remember reading it in the free Metro paper. The government already stated that whilst they are aware of the boat, there is nothing they can do because the boat is operating within EU rules. According to the paper a team of inspectors boarded the boat to make sure it was operating legally, and it was. Observers believe the boat is in British waters to grab as much fish as possible before the UK leaves the EU because then then all other EU countries lose the right to fish in UK waters and the UK then has the right to use force to remove them from UK waters.
The sooner the better.

And they wonder why we want to leave.

Oh, if only we had pro-British politicians.
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,730
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
14-10-2019, 01:24 PM
6

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The sooner the better.

And they wonder why we want to leave.

Oh, if only we had pro-British politicians.
These super trawlers dont only clean out uk fishing grounds!
They operate all around the world, usually off the shores of 3rd
world countries like the west coast of Africa etc where they can
take as much fish as they can carry due to corruption and non
existant regulation! Once the fish stocks collapse due to their
efforts they simply move on to the next country and so on!
After a couple of years when stocks have recovered they go around
again! This leaves the local fishermen with much depleted fishing
stocks to exist on for two or three years untill the super trawlers
think it is profitable to fish there again!
And so it goes on, but each time this happens the fish stocks get
less and less!!
Regards Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 23,367
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
14-10-2019, 01:32 PM
7

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
These super trawlers dont only clean out uk fishing grounds!
They operate all around the world, usually off the shores of 3rd
world countries like the west coast of Africa etc where they can
take as much fish as they can carry due to corruption and non
existant regulation! Once the fish stocks collapse due to their
efforts they simply move on to the next country and so on!
After a couple of years when stocks have recovered they go around
again! This leaves the local fishermen with much depleted fishing
stocks to exist on for two or three years untill the super trawlers
think it is profitable to fish there again!
And so it goes on, but each time this happens the fish stocks get
less and less!!
Yes, that's very annoying.

Does Greta know about it? Please let her know.
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,730
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
14-10-2019, 01:42 PM
8

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, that's very annoying.

Does Greta know about it? Please let her know.
I dont think she qualifies for off for quite a while JBR?

Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Solasch
Senior Member
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 4,492
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
14-10-2019, 02:21 PM
9

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I dont think she qualifies for off for quite a while JBR?

Donkeyman!
On this site the position of the margiris. At present she is emptying the channel.
It makes the "discovery" of that ship in british water a bit less sensational.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/nl/vess...MMSI-277330000
Reply With Quote
Solasch
Senior Member
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 4,492
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
14-10-2019, 02:32 PM
10

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
These super trawlers dont only clean out uk fishing grounds!
They operate all around the world, usually off the shores of 3rd
world countries like the west coast of Africa etc where they can
take as much fish as they can carry due to corruption and non
existant regulation! Once the fish stocks collapse due to their
efforts they simply move on to the next country and so on!
After a couple of years when stocks have recovered they go around
again! This leaves the local fishermen with much depleted fishing
stocks to exist on for two or three years untill the super trawlers
think it is profitable to fish there again!
And so it goes on, but each time this happens the fish stocks get
less and less!!
Regards Donkeyman!

As you could know, much of the fish caught in british waters is exported to africa (after processing in the netherlands). The margiris fishing before african coast (with processing on board) gives the africans their own fish. It leaves the fish in british waters for european fishermen.
Alas, politicians didn't understand that. And as you follow politicians reasoning, you come to the same erroneous conlusion.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.