Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 11:52 AM

Tap water in the uk

Tap water in the UK has now been shown to be contaminated by a particularly nasty carcinogenic chemical as a result of the way that tap water is disinfected.

Google "tap water cancer UK".

Not good.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:26 PM

Re: Tap water in the uk

Scare mongering again.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:31 PM

No problem we have a filter under the sink on our drinking water supply
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:33 PM

Yep, the sky is falling. It MAY be the cause of 5% of bladder cancer cases. Still, at least we're not affected by parasites and sundry microbes in the water supply. I'll take my chances, thanks.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:38 PM

I've had bladder and kidney cancer. This was put down to smoking. However, I haven't smoked for more than thirty years now and there's a slow growing tumour inside my remaining kidney. Hmm..! just think, if I'd have known the cause was in the water, I could have been enjoying my fags for all these years.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:42 PM

Hi

It depends where you live, my water is well below the permitted level.

A word of caution, normal filters are useless, you need lab grade activated carbon to remove the stuff.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Scare mongering again.
Not at all. This is a thing that has long been suspected, just like tobacco being a carcinogen denial for decades untill absolute proof was tabled. That is what is happening in the case of "disinfected" water, often taken only a short distance from sewage works or from rivers contaminated with agro-chemical and foul farm run off.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 01:43 PM

I can well believe this. After drinking tap water for the last few years I've recently switched back to evian. Tapwater tastes pretty awful if you leave a glass standing overnight. Apparently it's also full of hormones. Perhaps some areas like the lakes have a better quality than cities
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
That is what is happening in the case of "disinfected" water, often taken only a short distance from sewage works or from rivers contaminated with agro-chemical and foul farm run off.
Thank God I don't live in the Thames Water catchment area. I've heard said each drop of tap water drunk in that area has been used up to 5 times before it finally reaches the sea.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Apparently it's also full of hormones.
This has been increasingly the case since the early 1970s and is due, in no small part, to the increasing use of contraceptive pills. Scientific studies have shown that the increasing oestrogen levels are causing male fish to change sex.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not at all. This is a thing that has long been suspected, just like tobacco being a carcinogen denial for decades untill absolute proof was tabled. That is what is happening in the case of "disinfected" water, often taken only a short distance from sewage works or from rivers contaminated with agro-chemical and foul farm run off.
Well, I smoke too, so I'l take my chance with the water. Devon's water tastes nice anyway.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top