Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:01 AM

Over and Out

Yesterday the European parliament voted for the Brexit withdrawal agreement.

When the result flashed up, MEPs broke into a chorus of Auld Lang Syne. Some were wearing blue and red scarves that merged the union jack and European flag together. Many linked arms. Most appeared to be joining in – a German MEP had circulated the words.

The debate turned raucous when Nigel Farage took the floor. Brexit marks the point of no return, he said. “Once we have left we are never coming back and the rest is detail.” At the end of his speech Farage and his Brexit party MEPs brandished miniature union jacks – forbidden under European parliament rules. They were reproached by Mairead McGuinness, the Irish European parliament vice-president, who was chairing the debate: “Please sit down and put your flags away …. and take them with you. You are leaving.” The Brexit party MEPs left the chamber, waving flags and opening bottles of sparkling wine.

As a fervent Leaver, I am looking forward to 11 pm tomorrow evening, but I have mixed feelings abou the flag waving incident.

My initial reaction, I admit, was to laugh at NF's actions but, on reflection, I wonder if it would have been more suitable if he had delivered a dignified speech.

What are your thoughts?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:22 AM

Re: Over and Out

Oh dear, Nigel has always enjoyed his role there as the Pantomime baddy! He wasn't going to let his finale pass without a controversial action such as the flag waving.

Of course, the waving of the flags was in bad taste, but that's Nigel. I also happen to think that Mairead McGuinness was wrong to turn off Nigel's microphone, but there we are. It's always come down to point-scoring in that arena.

I think they will find it extremely dull in there without the Brexit MEP's working them up into a lather.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:25 AM

Loved it
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:30 AM

He did give a speech and it was good, I thought. It was only at the end that they did about 10 secs of flag waving . Here is his speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfyal78d9EQ
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oh dear, Nigel has always enjoyed his role there as the Pantomime baddy! He wasn't going to let his finale pass without a controversial action such as the flag waving.

Of course, the waving of the flags was in bad taste, but that's Nigel. I also happen to think that Mairead McGuinness was wrong to turn off Nigel's microphone, but there we are. It's always come down to point-scoring in that arena.

I think they will find it extremely dull in there without the Brexit MEP's working them up into a lather.
There is always Marine Le Pen
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:52 AM

I'm not sure. The flag waving might seem in bad taste initially but is that because we have been brainwashed into not being patriotic? I would imagine that if Scotland ever got their independence, there would be plenty of flag waving and bag pipe playing (and rightly so).
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 11:55 AM

I would image that if Scotland ever got their independence, there would be plenty of flag waving and bag pipe playing (and rightly so).

Hopefully, the opportunity will never present itself, LD.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 12:05 PM

On the news the MEPs were saying how sad they were.... Yeah, more sad that they have lost their massive wages.

I have got to say, what a marvellous speaker Nigel Farage is. Words just roll off his tongue and l find what he says is very interesting. He makes speeches look effortless.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
There is always Marine Le Pen
Her problem though is she has spent the last few years on a rebranding project for her party and trying to do her best to distance herself from her father's ''politics', so, although she is just as dedicated to France leaving what she says is a corrupt institution, I doubt very much that when she is permitted her ''One minute to speak'', she will ever prove as entertaining as Nigel with his outspoken and always made us laugh shocking speeches in the arena.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland

30-01-2020, 12:08 PM

As an aside .....

A new MEP has been confirmed to represent Scotland in the European Parliament - four days before the UK leaves the EU. Heather Anderson has taken up the SNP seat vacated by Alyn Smith, who became an MP in December's general election.

Thankfully .....

Ms Anderson will not be eligible for any payoff or pension for the role.

Really, SNP!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top