Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 03:45 AM

Evolution!

Today after a few strenuous activities in the garden I was sitting on the deck under a shade brolly having a glass of my home brewed beer. No book, no TV, no radio just me thinking. The things that flashed through my mind were all memories. Some delightful, some I regretted and some I just pondered. Most of the delightful ones involved my children and I thought about the reason this should be so. Evolution has got a lot to answer for. Now don't get me wrong, I have loved and do still love all my children and later their children but to what purpose? Just part of keeping the species alive. If I had never had them I wouldn't miss them.
Why is it that we are so excited by the presence of a little parasite growing inside one of us? It would seem logical that when the baby arrives we think he/she is so cute that we will risk our well being and life to protect it. Instead of thinking 'what a useless thing! Chuck it in the bushes". We find the creature's face, eyes and activities so cute that we look after it. Evolution? I think so!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 04:08 AM

Re: Evolution!

It's the only reason we're here really bro. To just keep the old cycle going on forever. It's hardwired. Humans and animals. All we can do is make the best of it, be the best version of ourselves we can be and pass the example on. bow out gracefully and give the next lot a go.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 08:25 AM

So, what is going on with folks who, by choice, remain childless?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 08:37 AM

They will exclude the choice that they have from future generations. They will probably have less stress levels but of course, their genes will not progress.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 08:53 AM

So, effectively under these circumstances, an individual can exempt themselves from evolution?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
So, effectively under these circumstances, an individual can exempt themselves from evolution?
Not sure what you mean there Spitfire. But an individual doesn't evolve. Apart from in the metaphorical sense. A species does if it survives long enough.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-02-2020, 09:08 AM

Depends of the definition of Evolve and the relative timescale.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 11:46 AM

In nature, populations of various species are controlled by a variety of factors - predators, availability of food sources, diseases. As a species, humanity, by its ability to control, use and subvert nature has increasingly acted to minimise natural controlling/limiting factors. As a result our human population (7 billion and growing) is becoming unsustainable. Maybe the apparent growth in the number of non-reproductive humans (asexuals, homosexuals, transexuals etc etc) is Gaia's response to overpopulation??? Just a thought!
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 02:56 PM

Our only real purpose in life is to see that our DNA survives. We have learned all kinds of tricks to make sure that our personal DNA advances over that of our neighbors. In that we are no different than any other animal, or plant for that matter.

We are still a new species, we have a lot of issues to work out if we intend to remain viable. We make choices every day that threaten our children and their children. We are still struggling between intelligence and our reptilian urges, and it may be the reptilian urges that win and we just destroy ourselves either in a glorious bloodbath, or slowly poison ourselves or our environment.

We may well not make it as long as some of our predecessors did. So far, our species has had about half the time span as Neanderthals. (and some Neanderthal DNA still survives, so it can be argued that they still survive....) We may not make it as long as they did, then we will just vanish into the dust of time. In, fifty or a hundred thousand years later their will be few clues that we ever lived.

I do not find it at all distressing that we may destroy ourselves. If we do, we didn't deserve to have a long life span or continue to develop. We are at a crucial time in our species development, we have the intellectual ability to either survive long term or not. If we don't it will be greed and ignorance that got us.

C'est la guerre
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:04 PM

I think we will all die out eventually ,to be replaced by something else .
Courtesy of Mother Nature .
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top