Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Quick Baking Question Please.

Good morning all. Just a quick query to all of you clever bakers out there. I know this sounds silly but I need to know before I start.

I have always bought ordinary greaseproof paper to line my cake tins. I usually just grease all the bottom and sides of the tins before placing the greaseproof paper in the bottom and sides of the tins.

This time, for the first time, I have bought a roll of Bacofoil non-stick on both sides paper. But..... it doesn't say whether one should still grease the cake tins. Like any normal person I would have assumed absolutely no reason to grease the bottom and sides but what put me off was......

On the packet it says because it is non-stick on both sides it eliminates any excess grease from getting through. Grease? what grease? Do they mean that I should still grease the bottom and sides of my cake tin even though I am lining them with more expensive both sides non-stick paper which I thought eliminated any need for greasing the tins.

I have tried to find out from every avenue I can online, including the Bacofoil website, but there is no mention of whether this is necessary or not.

Isn't it ridiculous! I should have stuck with my normal greaseproof paper. I know what I am doing there, but I don't want to be greasing the tins which would make the work of the paper harder when there is absolutely no need to.

Any idea anyone? Thank you from this bewildered pensioner plank!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Re: Quick Baking Question Please.

Hi SG I grease normal greaseproof paper but not the newer none stick version (sometimes called baking parchment) which has a none stick coating and is good for meringues but more expensive
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 01:21 PM

Re: Quick Baking Question Please.

Thanks Meg. Why on earth can't manufacturers of these newer papers just state plainly ..... "No need to grease your cake tins anymore!"

This bloomin paper is non-stick either side, but they then bamboozle us.
If I, who have made hundreds upon hundreds of cakes over my lifetime, is puzzled over their weird remarks about excess grease not being able to get through, how is anyone else meant to understand whether one greases the tin or not, and is the non-stick just to ensure the cake slides away the sides and bottom of the cake when fully baked?

If that is the case, I may as well have just bought greaseproof and greased the bloomin tins as always done. My cakes have ALWAYS slid away easily from the greaseproof paper so what am I paying extra for?
SIGH!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top