Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:26 PM

Silicone Poaching Cups.

Okay, who on OFF has tried these newish individual Silicone Poaching Cups?

I bought 4 a couple of months ago and decided this morning to do Poached Egg on Wholemeal Toast for breakfast for HWMO and myself.

I took them out of the drawer, washed and dried them first (don't know who else had handled them before they got to me)I placed 3 of them on the bar and following the instructions, greasing the inside of the cups with a little butter before cracking 3 eggs into them and sprinkling them with a tiny amount of salt and black pepper.

I then put on a largish saucepan with boiling water that had been filled 1/4 of the way up. That is when the problems started! Instead of having the cups on a tray right next to the saucepan, I'd forgotten that I had left the cups with the eggs on the bar. I went to pick up the first one to place in the saucepan when the sleeve of my cardigan caught the edge of one of the other cups and over it went spilling the whole raw egg onto the bar top. (40p went into my swearbox later!) Okay, I thought, don't let it get to you, so after clearing up the mess and wiping everywhere down, I cracked another egg into the cup and ever so carefully, walked over to the cooker carrying one cup at a time and gently did as instructed, lowered it into the boilding water.

Have you ever tried lowering something that feels just like a wobbly piece of rubber into bubbling, scalding water with heat like a furnace, trying to ensure that you do as the instructions say...lay it gently on top of the water without a drop touching the egg inside this slippery beggar? believe me, it's almost impossible! I managed to get two of them in without burning my hands and the water not touching them, but with the third one (water on medium heat as advised) although I laid it into the water gently, water still got into that cup, so by the time I put the lid on the saucepan and turned the timer on for a perfect poached egg with set white and soft yolk, the white that had managed to get into MY poached egg had blended in beautifully with the water and had reached the top of the saucepan and was now white bubbles out of the side of the lid!!!(remember, this is not in simmering water as one would when poaching an egg directly into the water, it is on medium with a real bubble.)

Oh come on, I thought, why me? I've done everything they advised. All this bother for a flipping poached egg.
To cut it short, HWMO had 2 perfect poached eggs and Moi binned hers and had Toast and Marmalade instead.

It really wasn't worth it. In future, I'll stick to Boiled, Fried, Scrambled or Omelette.

Have you tried them at all?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:49 PM

Re: Silicone Poaching Cups.

Poaching an egg:

Half fill a cup with cold water. Break egg into cup. Microwave for 1 minute (you may need to experiment with time).

No, I haven't tried the silicon poachers.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Poaching an egg:

Half fill a cup with cold water. Break egg into cup. Microwave for 1 minute (you may need to experiment with time).

No, I haven't tried the silicon poachers.
Ray, believe me, I have tried every method ever mentioned online or in print on how to poach the perfect egg, following the instructions carefully, but a perfect poached egg always seems to allude me! I just don't bother anymore with them. preferring instead to have scrambled or an omelette.

I used to have a little pan with 4 poachers inside of them that once a little water put underneath them turned out really nice poached eggs, but I stupidly threw it away years ago when having a cupboard clear out. (besides, like these silicone cups, they are not really being poached, but baked)

Oh well, I suppose practice makes perfect as they say. What is so annoying is that I time it when putting the toast into the toaster, so when something doesn't come out as it should, the toast is wasted, which is really irritating. Who wants cold toast?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Okay, who on OFF has tried these newish individual Silicone Poaching Cups?

I bought 4 a couple of months ago and decided this morning to do Poached Egg on Wholemeal Toast for breakfast for HWMO and myself.

I took them out of the drawer, washed and dried them first (don't know who else had handled them before they got to me)I placed 3 of them on the bar and following the instructions, greasing the inside of the cups with a little butter before cracking 3 eggs into them and sprinkling them with a tiny amount of salt and black pepper.

I then put on a largish saucepan with boiling water that had been filled 1/4 of the way up. That is when the problems started! Instead of having the cups on a tray right next to the saucepan, I'd forgotten that I had left the cups with the eggs on the bar. I went to pick up the first one to place in the saucepan when the sleeve of my cardigan caught the edge of one of the other cups and over it went spilling the whole raw egg onto the bar top. (40p went into my swearbox later!) Okay, I thought, don't let it get to you, so after clearing up the mess and wiping everywhere down, I cracked another egg into the cup and ever so carefully, walked over to the cooker carrying one cup at a time and gently did as instructed, lowered it into the boilding water.

Have you ever tried lowering something that feels just like a wobbly piece of rubber into bubbling, scalding water with heat like a furnace, trying to ensure that you do as the instructions say...lay it gently on top of the water without a drop touching the egg inside this slippery beggar? believe me, it's almost impossible! I managed to get two of them in without burning my hands and the water not touching them, but with the third one (water on medium heat as advised) although I laid it into the water gently, water still got into that cup, so by the time I put the lid on the saucepan and turned the timer on for a perfect poached egg with set white and soft yolk, the white that had managed to get into MY poached egg had blended in beautifully with the water and had reached the top of the saucepan and was now white bubbles out of the side of the lid!!!(remember, this is not in simmering water as one would when poaching an egg directly into the water, it is on medium with a real bubble.)

Oh come on, I thought, why me? I've done everything they advised. All this bother for a flipping poached egg.
To cut it short, HWMO had 2 perfect poached eggs and Moi binned hers and had Toast and Marmalade instead.

It really wasn't worth it. In future, I'll stick to Boiled, Fried, Scrambled or Omelette.

Yes SG l have, and had no problems, but l didnt use individual cups
but a set of four with a handle in the middle so you can lower them
into the hot water and remove them when cooked!
They worked perfectly every time, unfortunately they got lost when
we returned to uk and l haventt replaced them yet!
Donkeyman!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:26 PM

Okay, who on OFF has tried these newish individual Silicone Poaching Cups

I bought two from Lakeland about a year ago - washed them and left them to dry on the draining rack. I assembled saucepan of water, plate, cutlery, eggs, salt and pepper. Went to collect the cups - they had vanished - and have never been seen since! I should mention - I have a cat with a silicone fetish!

Went back to using a regular egg poacher - perfect eggs every time!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

25-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes SG l have, and had no problems, but l didnt use individual cups
but a set of four with a handle in the middle so you can lower them
into the hot water and remove them when cooked!
They worked perfectly every time, unfortunately they got lost when
we returned to uk and l haventt replaced them yet!
Donkeyman!
Now something similar to that would be perfect Donkeyman, a rigid centre whereby I could lower 3 or 4 eggs in their silicone cups into the bubbling hot water that wouldn't give me the fear of scalding my knuckles or worrying about any water getting into them.
Bet you miss that handy piece of equipment!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

25-02-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I bought two from Lakeland about a year ago - washed them and left them to dry on the draining rack. I assembled saucepan of water, plate, cutlery, eggs, salt and pepper. Went to collect the cups - they had vanished - and have never been seen since! I should mention - I have a cat with a silicone fetish!

Went back to using a regular egg poacher - perfect eggs every time!
Your little cat probably thought the silicone cups were a nice new rubber toy to play with. Yes, I miss the poacher I once had, too.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:56 PM

Your little cat probably thought the silicone cups were a nice new rubber toy to play with. Yes, I miss the poacher I once had, too.
Just been looking on google SG, I cant find anthing like l mentioned
but l saw some silicone rings with handles that would work ok,
and they are cheap, just £1-- 89, for two, l think l will get a couple?
Looks like you remove them from the pan with an egg slice like we
used to! If donkeywoman gets them l will let you know if they work!
Donkeyman!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:57 PM

How safe is the silicone cooking ware? Surely some of the silicone must migrate into the food being cooked.
I prefer to use long tried and tested pots & pans etc until the ultra modern gear has been proved to be 100% non toxic.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Cooking an egg in a cup in boiling water is called a coddled egg. A poached egg is cooked directly in simmering water. Bring a pan of water with a dash of vinegar to a simmering point when small bubbles appear in the bottom of the pan. Form a vortex in the pan with a utensil and gently lower the egg into the centre. Try to avoid the water from boiling. I cook mine for 4 minutes as I do not like the yolk too runny. The fresher the egg the better.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-i...led-egg-995623

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top