Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Silver Tabby's Avatar
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
Silver Tabby is offline
God's own county!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19,676
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 06:16 PM
1

Shopping today.

Looked in to Sainsbury's while in town - they were rather short of lavatory paper, tea bags and coffee - otherwise it was business as usual.

Went to the market - a bit quiet - but plenty of fresh fruit and veg to be had. As well as my usual veg I bought seven pounds of onions and several extra large heads of strong garlic to make anti virus soup!!

Cheesemonger and fishmonger are closed on Mondays - but the butcher was there - bought 2lbs of local produced dry cured bacon and 3lbs of steak which he then minced for me.

Came home by 'bus - went to a little family owned bakery - bought six sausage rolls, six Scotch eggs, two chicken pies and two fruit pies.

Have had a happy time in the kitchen chopping, prepping and vacuum packing everything - freezer now at maximum level Haven't seen those cats for while ... Hmm.
Reply With Quote
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
Lion Queen is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 7,104
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 08:15 PM
2

Re: Shopping today.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Looked in to Sainsbury's while in town - they were rather short of lavatory paper, tea bags and coffee - otherwise it was business as usual.

Went to the market - a bit quiet - but plenty of fresh fruit and veg to be had. As well as my usual veg I bought seven pounds of onions and several extra large heads of strong garlic to make anti virus soup!!

Cheesemonger and fishmonger are closed on Mondays - but the butcher was there - bought 2lbs of local produced dry cured bacon and 3lbs of steak which he then minced for me.

Came home by 'bus - went to a little family owned bakery - bought six sausage rolls, six Scotch eggs, two chicken pies and two fruit pies.

Have had a happy time in the kitchen chopping, prepping and vacuum packing everything - freezer now at maximum level Haven't seen those cats for while ... Hmm.
My freezer and dads freezer is full, I've done loads of bulk cooking. I can't get hold of any chicken breasts though as there were none today not even at the farm shop. We have a butcher a fair way from here so I am just about to order online to pick up on Friday, wish me luck.
Reply With Quote
Dodge's Avatar
Dodge
Senior Member
Dodge is offline
Kent, UK
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 391
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 08:36 PM
3

Re: Shopping today.

Went into my local high-street Iceland after work and even though it is a big store, it was approximately 80% empty of food. I had a good look and this is what had gone, nothing left on the shelves (it was full stock on Friday because i went in to get some breakfast cereals):

Bread
Milk
Tins of Baked Beans
Tins of spaghetti
Tins of Ravioli
Frozen pizzas
Rice (all types and all types of packaging)
Spaghetti
Tins of peas (garden and processed), sweetcorn, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes
All tins of soup
All cheeses
All butter and margarine.
All bottles of fizzy drinks
All bottles of squash (orange, blackcurrant etc)
biscuits
crisps
Coffee and Tea
oh and the obvious, toilet roll and kitchen roll

The only things left that was in the majority was weightwatchers stuff, sweets, alcohol and vegetarian frozen meals, oh and icecream.

I got what i needed but i could hear many customers complaining about there being no milk or bread.
Reply With Quote
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
Lion Queen is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 7,104
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 08:40 PM
4

Re: Shopping today.

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Went into my local high-street Iceland after work and even though it is a big store, it was approximately 80% empty of food. I had a good look and this is what had gone, nothing left on the shelves (it was full stock on Friday because i went in to get some breakfast cereals):

Bread
Milk
Tins of Baked Beans
Tins of spaghetti
Tins of Ravioli
Frozen pizzas
Rice (all types and all types of packaging)
Spaghetti
Tins of peas (garden and processed), sweetcorn, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes
All tins of soup
All cheeses
All butter and margarine.
All bottles of fizzy drinks
All bottles of squash (orange, blackcurrant etc)
biscuits
crisps
Coffee and Tea
oh and the obvious, toilet roll and kitchen roll

The only things left that was in the majority was weightwatchers stuff, sweets, alcohol and vegetarian frozen meals, oh and icecream.

I got what i needed but i could hear many customers complaining about there being no milk or bread.
talking of butter, there was an asian lady in front of me at Iceland today and she had bought two WHOLE BOXES full of Willow Butter, I'm not sure how many packs were in the box but there was a lot! I later found out it was on offer for 50p. Talk about selfish.
Reply With Quote
Meg's Avatar
Meg
Supervisor
Meg is offline
Worcestershire, England
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 39,491
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 08:40 PM
5

Re: Shopping today.

I had to go and collect my Meds, chaos at the surgery, then to get petrol , chaos at the petrol station

I didn't dare go near a shop and am officially in self-imposed shielding now with bronchitis and no voice .

Dog food and dog toothpaste arriving by internet shopping tomorrow and my sons birthday gift a dressing gown all to be placed into a cupboard in porch and left there for a few days .
Reply With Quote
TessA's Avatar
TessA
Official Poinker
TessA is offline
UK
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 20,664
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 09:17 PM
6

Re: Shopping today.

My daughter just told me that she popped into Sainsbury's on the way home and there were people fighting in there, the lady on the till said people are turning into animals with all this panic buying.
I'm expecting muggings and cars being broken into to steal loo rolls and food next.
I think I'm more scared of people than viruses so I'll stay in after my physio appointment tomorrow apart from taking Dolly out.
Reply With Quote
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
Lion Queen is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 7,104
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 09:26 PM
7

Re: Shopping today.

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My daughter just told me that she popped into Sainsbury's on the way home and there were people fighting in there, the lady on the till said people are turning into animals with all this panic buying.
I'm expecting muggings and cars being broken into to steal loo rolls and food next.
I think I'm more scared of people than viruses so I'll stay in after my physio appointment tomorrow apart from taking Dolly out.


Wise move Tessa.

I feel like I'm watching a movie, a very scary movie too.
Reply With Quote
TessA's Avatar
TessA
Official Poinker
TessA is offline
UK
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 20,664
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 10:13 PM
8

Re: Shopping today.

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
[/B]

Wise move Tessa.

I feel like I'm watching a movie, a very scary movie too.
Asda, Aldi and Sainsbury are limiting purchases now so people can't bulk buy, about time!
Reply With Quote
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
Lion Queen is offline
UK
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 7,104
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 10:19 PM
9

Re: Shopping today.

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Asda, Aldi and Sainsbury are limiting purchases now so people can't bulk buy, about time!
brilliant news, thanks for telling me Tessa
Reply With Quote
Judd's Avatar
Judd
Chatterbox
Judd is offline
West Riding of Yorkshire
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 10,185
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
16-03-2020, 10:49 PM
10

Re: Shopping today.

Have been to my local Lidl in Mirfield for a few items and the place has been stripped clean. No bread, milk or eggs. No chicken, pork or lamb, just expensive cuts of beef. No toilet paper or kitchen rolls either.

Luckily, I did my big shop last week so only needed some fruit, spuds, bacon and some fish.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.