Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 19,528
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-03-2020, 04:50 PM
1

Problems in the Food Chain.

Hi

Two walkouts in NI Food Producers due to social distancing rules.

Locally our two meat packing plants already work 24/7 with a six hour closedown for cleaning, which is essential.

The packing stations are normally a metre apart, now doubled to 2 metres which has halved production.

Eggs are now starting to get back in the shops, but the producers are seriously struggling to get the workers.
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,880
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-03-2020, 06:21 PM
2

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Two walkouts in NI Food Producers due to social distancing rules.

Locally our two meat packing plants already work 24/7 with a six hour closedown for cleaning, which is essential.

The packing stations are normally a metre apart, now doubled to 2 metres which has halved production.

Eggs are now starting to get back in the shops, but the producers are seriously struggling to get the workers.
Seems there are problems in the paperchainnas well Swimmy?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Reply With Quote
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is offline
east sussex
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 10,322
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
25-03-2020, 08:07 PM
3

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Two walkouts in NI Food Producers due to social distancing rules.

Locally our two meat packing plants already work 24/7 with a six hour closedown for cleaning, which is essential.

The packing stations are normally a metre apart, now doubled to 2 metres which has halved production.

Eggs are now starting to get back in the shops, but the producers are seriously struggling to get the workers.
have to laugh, egg producers, struggling to get enough chickens to lay enough eggs
Reply With Quote
bakerman's Avatar
bakerman
Senior Member
bakerman is online now
Mexico
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,788
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
26-03-2020, 08:00 PM
4

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

As with many other types of large business' , food retailers have long since adopted the model of "just in time".
What that means is instead of tying up huge amounts of cash with a large supply of food in the back of the store, food business' arrange for delivery of food stuffs "just in time".

And, so it goes, back on down the line of suppliers.

Unfortunately for us, no-one ever anticipated panic buying on such a scale. Thus it will take a bit of time for all of the producers of food stuffs to obtain the necessary ingredients.

For example: the grocery store needs more pasta products. They order more from the wholesaler, only to be told that the wholesaler is also having trouble meeting demand because they can't get the product from the factory. The factory can't make enough pasta because they don't have enough flour to make the pasta.

The flour suppliers, in turn, are having difficulty because the
grain silos are nearing empty. And so it goes. Ultimately, the farmers are saying, 'We will not have any more grain until the next harvest.'

The matter is compounded when the country must import its grain from abroad. The huge grain producing countries are saying, 'We may not have enough for our own country. You will have to wait until we can grow more wheat.'

And, all of this because the panic buying has swamped the supplies.
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,880
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
26-03-2020, 08:30 PM
5

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
As with many other types of large business' , food retailers have long since adopted the model of "just in time".
What that means is instead of tying up huge amounts of cash with a large supply of food in the back of the store, food business' arrange for delivery of food stuffs "just in time".

And, so it goes, back on down the line of suppliers.

Unfortunately for us, no-one ever anticipated panic buying on such a scale. Thus it will take a bit of time for all of the producers of food stuffs to obtain the necessary ingredients.

For example: the grocery store needs more pasta products. They order more from the wholesaler, only to be told that the wholesaler is also having trouble meeting demand because they can't get the product from the factory. The factory can't make enough pasta because they don't have enough flour to make the pasta.

The flour suppliers, in turn, are having difficulty because the
grain silos are nearing empty. And so it goes. Ultimately, the farmers are saying, 'We will not have any more grain until the next harvest.'

The matter is compounded when the country must import its grain from abroad. The huge grain producing countries are saying, 'We may not have enough for our own country. You will have to wait until we can grow more wheat.'

And, all of this because the panic buying has swamped the supplies.

I disagree with your last statement Bakerman, the problems are
caused primarily because the system was changed to
just in time?
The financial systems are also going to suffer as countries dont
carry reserves anymore but run on deficits, and very few people
have actual savings anymore but operate with a credit card?
Otherwise l am in agreement with your post!

Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 36,086
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
26-03-2020, 10:43 PM
6

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

There is now the problem of tons of food going to waste. Supermarkets are catching up by receiving extra deliveries but the order for everyone to stay at home means that the extra food will probably not sell in time.
Reply With Quote
biffo
Senior Member
biffo is offline
Norfolk UK
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 135
biffo is male 
 
26-03-2020, 10:46 PM
7

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

Just as well we can last a while using up our stockpiles...
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is offline
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 36,086
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
26-03-2020, 10:47 PM
8

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

Originally Posted by biffo ->
Just as well we can last a while using up our stockpiles...
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 19,528
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-03-2020, 04:07 AM
9

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

Hi

An example of what I mean.

One of the big chicken farms is now empty.

They have been waiting 4 days for deliveries of day old chicks, with none expected until next week.

They produce around 240,000 chickens every 37 days for the supermarkets.

So in around six weeks time there will be shortages.

Fifteen miles away they are desperately trying to recruit harvesters, they are not coming from Eastern Europe.

They are needed in a month, wages have been upped and six months work guaranteed.

Sadly very few takers.

We are in for the long haul on this.
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,880
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-03-2020, 01:39 PM
10

Re: Problems in the Food Chain.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

An example of what I mean.

One of the big chicken farms is now empty.

They have been waiting 4 days for deliveries of day old chicks, with none expected until next week.

They produce around 240,000 chickens every 37 days for the supermarkets.

So in around six weeks time there will be shortages.

Fifteen miles away they are desperately trying to recruit harvesters, they are not coming from Eastern Europe.

They are needed in a month, wages have been upped and six months work guaranteed.

Sadly very few takers.

We are in for the long haul on this.
All people on benefits and who are healthy should be conscripted
for farm work at whatever rate they can get, or be removed from the
benefit system!!
About time our home grown loafers are sorted out, maybe they only
need a kick start??

Donkeyman! 😜😜😜
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.