Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
d00d's Avatar
d00d
Chatterbox
d00d is online now
London, UK
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 5,054
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 12:59 PM
1

I need a new CH boiler

I need a new Hot Water/Central Heating boiler. I currently have a Worcester Bosch gas combi, 15 years old now leaking. I like it or used to like it, would buy another Worcester Bosch but is gas CH the way to go? Wasn't there talk recently, following Greta's actions, of phasing out gas boilers, going electric or some other tech?

What would you do?
Reply With Quote
Dextrous63
Senior Member
Dextrous63 is offline
Manchester, UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,444
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 01:05 PM
2

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I need a new Hot Water/Central Heating boiler. I currently have a Worcester Bosch gas combi, 15 years old now leaking. I like it or used to like it, would buy another Worcester Bosch but is gas CH the way to go? Wasn't there talk recently, following Greta's actions, of phasing out gas boilers, going electric or some other tech?

What would you do?
I'd sign up to a service contract and pay the extra hit to get it fixed. It should last for a few years yet.

As for electric boilers, you need to take into account the cost of running them as gas is still cheaper. They are only really worthwhile in new buildings which have a considerable amount of insulation. So, for the time being, get your old boiler fixed and spend as much as possible insulating your house (don't forget the different types of glass which are far more thermally efficient)
Reply With Quote
Tedc's Avatar
Tedc
Senior Member
Tedc is offline
Berkshire, UK
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,579
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 01:07 PM
3

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I need a new Hot Water/Central Heating boiler. I currently have a Worcester Bosch gas combi, 15 years old now leaking. I like it or used to like it, would buy another Worcester Bosch but is gas CH the way to go? Wasn't there talk recently, following Greta's actions, of phasing out gas boilers, going electric or some other tech?

What would you do?
My Baxi Boiler is on it's last legs (not 10 years yet!) and I am waiting for some follow ups for after the lockdown.

One thing I have noted, however, is the price of boilers at (e.g.) Screwfix type stores.

Assuming that I have good, cleaned out system, I reckon to buy a boiler for, around, 5-600 squids.

After that there's a day's work, installing/setting up for the fitter/plumber.

That's way below the 2,500, sort of, average to have the whole job done as a package!
Reply With Quote
Dextrous63
Senior Member
Dextrous63 is offline
Manchester, UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,444
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 01:16 PM
4

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
That's way below the 2,500, sort of, average to have the whole job done as a package!
The package will include contingencies for many other aspects, including cleaning the system, new flue, possible new and different sized pipes, cleaning the system, indeminity insurances etc etc etc.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is online now
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 5,420
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 01:30 PM
5

Re: I need a new CH boiler

We're already systematically replacing gas heated hot water radiators with electric storage equivalents, initially in our spare rooms but with the intention to have the whole house electrically heated by mid next year.

The running cost will be a little higher but with differential billing not horrendously so.

Anyway it's the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote
Dextrous63
Senior Member
Dextrous63 is offline
Manchester, UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,444
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 02:34 PM
6

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We're already systematically replacing gas heated hot water radiators with electric storage equivalents, initially in our spare rooms but with the intention to have the whole house electrically heated by mid next year.

The running cost will be a little higher but with differential billing not horrendously so.

Anyway it's the right thing to do.
Agree. When upgrading to an electric system, it's important to consider not only the cost of the installation but also the running cost. Although "the right thing to do", one has to think about whether one will ever reap the financial rewards for doing so

As for hot water to taps, IMHO localised electric water heaters are a better option than a single point of heat source running the whole house. Less wastage, unlikley that you'll ever be entirely without hot water (subject to no power cuts, which would prevent many a gas boiler from functioning too!), cheaper to replace/upgrade etc etc.
Reply With Quote
Percy Vere's Avatar
Percy Vere
Senior Member
Percy Vere is online now
Worcestershire, UK
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 1,432
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 03:29 PM
7

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I need a new Hot Water/Central Heating boiler. I currently have a Worcester Bosch gas combi, 15 years old now leaking. I like it or used to like it, would buy another Worcester Bosch but is gas CH the way to go? Wasn't there talk recently, following Greta's actions, of phasing out gas boilers, going electric or some other tech?

What would you do?
Over the last 15 years, boiler technology will have advanced so, in answer to your question, I'd buy a new one.
Reply With Quote
Dextrous63
Senior Member
Dextrous63 is offline
Manchester, UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,444
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 03:51 PM
8

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Over the last 15 years, boiler technology will have advanced so, in answer to your question, I'd buy a new one.
Not much. The main development would be in condensor boilers which are more efficient. Not sure what model the op has.
Reply With Quote
d00d's Avatar
d00d
Chatterbox
d00d is online now
London, UK
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 5,054
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 07:19 PM
9

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Thanks for the input guys, all food for thought.

I guess the kind of big picture I was hoping to see was this ...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...carbon-systems

which is a year old and possibly blx anyway, but an indication of the urgency of the climate emergency.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is online now
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 5,420
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-04-2020, 07:42 PM
10

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My Baxi Boiler is on it's last legs (not 10 years yet!) and I am waiting for some follow ups for after the lockdown.

One thing I have noted, however, is the price of boilers at (e.g.) Screwfix type stores.

Assuming that I have good, cleaned out system, I reckon to buy a boiler for, around, 5-600 squids.

After that there's a day's work, installing/setting up for the fitter/plumber.

That's way below the 2,500, sort of, average to have the whole job done as a package!
Sod Screwfix and the like. Phone around various plumbing suppliers for quotes and when you find one you like offer to buy it at 20% less and there's a chance they'll accept or at least offer a lower price especially now.

As for 600 for a boiler, personally I wouldn't go for the cheapest.

Worth trying a deal with your preferred plumber too. They can often get a lower price than even the cheekiest Joe Public.

Remember NEVER just pay the first asking price without a try-on other than in supermarkets and the like.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.