Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 03:01 PM

Compost disposal.

My garden is supposed to be low maintenance but with all my plants & shrubs in pots it isn't really!!

My problem is when I have to empty the pots of the old plants to make way for new.

My garden waste bit is fine for the flowers/plants/roots but what do I do with the compost they were in? I only have a lawn & gravel (which the pots stand on) I have no soil at all.

Any ideas?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 03:05 PM

Re: Compost disposal.

Originally Posted by carol ->
My garden is supposed to be low maintenance but with all my plants & shrubs in pots it isn't really!!

My problem is when I have to empty the pots of the old plants to make way for new.

My garden waste bit is fine for the flowers/plants/roots but what do I do with the compost they were in? I only have a lawn & gravel (which the pots stand on) I have no soil at all.

Any ideas?
Put it in bags and sell it on ebay??

Donkeyman! 😁😁
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 03:07 PM

Any ideas?
Carol you could put it in bags by your gate with a note 'Free spent compost, please help yourself' and I bet it will go very quickly.

I have clay soil and and have put masses of spent mushroom compost which I had to buy and compost from my tubs onto my garden and it just disappears, I would take it off you like a shot.

Alternativly offer it free on Gumtree.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Carol you could put it in bags by your gate with a note 'Free spent compost, please help yourself' and I bet it will go very quickly.

I have clay soil and and have put masses of spent mushroom compost which I had to buy and compost from my tubs onto my garden and it just disappears, I would take it off you like a shot.

Alternatively offer it free on Gumtree.
I wonder how many people would think Carol's been "farming" whacky backy?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the idea's of bagging it & giving it away. I never thought of that.

To give you an idea what it's like here is a picture I posted in the photo competition.
Scroll down - it's near the bottom.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...t=67966&page=3
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 03:42 PM

Mix it 50/50 with your new compost and use that in your pots. I do that every year. Plants grow just as well in the mix and it saves quite a bit of cash plus less heavy compost bags to lug around.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Mix it 50/50 with your new compost and use that in your pots. I do that every year. Plants grow just as well in the mix and it saves quite a bit of cash plus less heavy compost bags to lug around.
That's what I do too, or if it's a big pot I'm using I'll put old stuff in the bottom.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

24-05-2020, 10:56 PM

I just assumed it wasn't worth using again - all the goodness having been taken out of it and maybe weeds & other things present in the compost..

It would solve my problem though - I'll give it a try with some cordylines I have to pot up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 11:39 PM

I just assumed it wasn't worth using again - all the goodness having been taken out of it and maybe weeds & other things present in the compost..

It would solve my problem though - I'll give it a try with some cordylines I have to pot up.

Should be alright if you mix in plenty of plant food too, Carol, I wouldn't reply on the compost alone.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

25-05-2020, 07:42 AM

That's what I thought I'd do Mups. Mix plant food pellets in with the old compost & use it in the bottom of the pot with new compost in the top half.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing this before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top