Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 08:41 PM

Rocking Horse rescue part 2.

I made a fully carved rocking horse for each of our kids when they were little. This one is called Harriet, and has been in our attic for many years, including being moved around whilst we had a loft conversion built. The damp atmosphere and extremes of temperature caused some of the joints to crack, and at some point one of her ears got knocked off.

This is the story of her being restored to perfect health.

The builders promised me that this hole was going to be big enough to get Harriet out.

There she is.

The hole was big enough!

Carrying her down stairs. Two flights and round a few tight corners.

Ear 'ere. You can see some of the cracks in her body as well.

Stripping down and laying out, including a new mane and tail.

Losing a tail has been a common injury for rocking horses down the years. Traditional horses have a hollow body and often children will then "post" things in the hole.

Cracks filled and a new coat of paint.

Dappling commenced. The picture on the laptop is our eldest's horse Rocky, so I could roughly copy the pattern.

Dappling finished.

Painting the nostrils. I'm surprised I didn't have my tongue out in concentration.

Tongue, nose, and teeth painted.

Fixing the new mane, tail already fitted.

Yee Ha! (Sorry about the legs).

Erz finished.

Next time we have a dry day I'll stable her on the landing until such time as our youngest has a enough room to take her.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 09:19 PM

Re: Rocking Horse rescue part 2.

Excellent work Fruitcake!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 10:44 PM

I absolutely love that fruitcake....what a gorgeous thing to make for your kids a real family heirloom beautifully made... just lovely!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 10:53 PM

What a wonderful Hand Made Rocking Horse you have made,
Fruitcake, and so sturdy to take a man's weight.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I made a fully carved rocking horse for each of our kids when they were little. This one is called Harriet, and has been in our attic for many years, including being moved around whilst we had a loft conversion built. The damp atmosphere and extremes of temperature caused some of the joints to crack, and at some point one of her ears got knocked off.

This is the story of her being restored to perfect health.

The builders promised me that this hole was going to be big enough to get Harriet out.

There she is.

The hole was big enough!

Carrying her down stairs. Two flights and round a few tight corners.

Ear 'ere. You can see some of the cracks in her body as well.

Stripping down and laying out, including a new mane and tail.

Losing a tail has been a common injury for rocking horses down the years. Traditional horses have a hollow body and often children will then "post" things in the hole.

Cracks filled and a new coat of paint.

Dappling commenced. The picture on the laptop is our eldest's horse Rocky, so I could roughly copy the pattern.

Dappling finished.

Painting the nostrils. I'm surprised I didn't have my tongue out in concentration.

Tongue, nose, and teeth painted.

Fixing the new mane, tail already fitted.

Yee Ha! (Sorry about the legs).

Erz finished.

Next time we have a dry day I'll stable her on the landing until such time as our youngest has a enough room to take her.
She is lovely, Fruitcake. I am very envious. Where will you put her when she is finished?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2020, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
She is lovely, Fruitcake. I am very envious. Where will you put her when she is finished?
On the landing. The little horse I restored is there at the moment so it will have to go in the attic until either our son has somewhere to put Harriet, or when we can be sure our puppy has stopped chewing things it shouldn't.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top