Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 08:43 PM

The moon is hiding tonight

So here is one I took some time ago

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 08:49 PM

Re: The moon is hiding tonight

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
So here is one I took some time ago

Very good. Excellent frame. What frame selection if you don't mind?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 09:36 PM

Re: The moon is hiding tonight

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Very good. Excellent frame. What frame selection if you don't mind?
This was just one shot with editing to get most in focus. The moon face on, it is just flat with no detail. I had to abandon all conventional recommended ideas as to shutter speed- aperture ISO etc and go by experience - timing and luck.

There is a story behind that photo. I used a 650-1300mm manual lens on I think it was my nikon D70s.

This was mounted on a manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with a Manfrotto 322RC2 pistol grip.
I took the shot on a freezing cold night when the sky was clear and great for this type of shot.

Now the problems I had to deal with

The lens was manual and the camera settings were pure guess work through experience mainly.

The other problem shooting this close it is impossible to get a shot of all the moon, so I opted for an edge which gives a better idea of the craters.

Now the moon this close really moves fast. Appears to be about 5/10 MPH approx as far as I can guess. Hard to explain how fast it actually moves at this mm range

The only way I could do it was to estimate the moons path and wait for it to get into frame. Again easy to miss or get just a part as it goes out of shot and you don't get many chances, plus by this time I was more of an iceberg I was so cold.

Found data from another shot

Date 16 Jan 2006 time 4.am 1/60" -ISO 500 no other relevent data

So I can't really answer your question. But would I attempt it again? NO WAY

Poor photo at same time to show how hard it was with 2x doubler fitted to lens. 2600mm

To put it in comparison eye sight is rated at around 35mm

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top