Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 11:30 PM

China's ambassador to the UK gives Britain a lecture on "Friendship"

I can't post the clip but I just saw on the ABC morning show footage of the Chinese ambassador to the UK pointing the finger and warning of "consequences" if the UK gives asylum to people leaving Hong Kong. No comment on where these people would go or other logistics of giving them asylum. That is another issue. It's the principle. Here this bloke is waving the finger and giving "stern" warnings of "consequences" if the UK upsets China. They are doing the same thing to us right now as well. And our prime minister Scott Morrison is telling them - politely - where they can shove their warnings. Australia is getting together a strategy to allow these people to come here too. Focus is also shifting from relying on the US as our only strategic partner in the South Pacific due to Trump's determination to tear the US apart. I understand there is a lot of movement from our government to cement strategic ties with many other countries in the South East Asian region as a possible buffer against Chinese aggression. Morrison has announced another $A250 billion in defence spending. Shoudn't be too hard to deter China. Their huge army only gets used to kill their own people and they steal most of their tech from the West. Can't rely on the US anymore. HOpe it's worth it. So, I hope Boris and his crew tell this pompous little dweeb where he can shove his waving finger. Made my bloody blood boil. I'm not underestimating China for a second. They are very powerful. But they are committing a fatal error. They are underestimating the rest of the world. They are talking and blustering their way into a corner. THey are certainly underestimating Australia's resolve to stand up to them. Maybe this time the US will just be just "tagging along" instead of leading. Time for us to stand form against this arrogant and bullying totalitarian regime. With or without the USA. YOur opinions and thoughts are invited. All comers welcome
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:29 AM

Re: China's ambassador to the UK gives Britain a lecture on "Friendship"

I get the impression China think they are invincible because they are large and powerful.
If as many countries as possible shun them they will see that is not the case.

The UK needs to boot them out of our telecommunications system and power generation, they shouldn't have been allowed in there to begin with.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I get the impression China think they are invincible because they are large and powerful.
If as many countries as possible shun them they will see that is not the case.

The UK needs to boot them out of our telecommunications system and power generation, they shouldn't have been allowed in there to begin with.
I think they're about to Meg yeah?.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I think they're about to Meg yeah?.
....there is still a lot of 'umming and arring' with ex-chancellor Osborn telling us we must not underestimate the importance of China (he spent a lot of time wooing them) and we have to learn to live with them but the rebellion of backbenchers in the 'Chinese research group' is growing by the day and I expect Huawei to be chucked out and hopefully, the power plants deals at Sizewell and Hinkley will follow.

We should have been pursuing projects like the Swansea Bay tidal lagoon to produce power instead of making deals with China.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:54 AM

Hi

I agree that we are far too dependant upon China and others, particularly for parts of our critical infrastructure.

We will have to be careful how we resolve this as self harm is never good.

It will take many years before we have recovered our previous ability to build and finance things ourselves.

I agree totally about power generation, Swansea Bay and others are infinitely preferable to Nuclear Power Stations jointly owned and financed by France and China.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 03:00 PM

China can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. Their Government has become far too big for its boots and needs to be taken down a peg or three. The question is how to do it without causing an all-out war.

The Swansea lagoon is a brilliant idea and worthy of going forward. However, the Welsh version of the Green Party et al have all come out against it on the grounds that all the concrete needed will cause shedloads of pollution or some such tripe. No thoughts for all the short- and long-term jobs that will be created, no thoughts about all the extra wetlands that will be created for all the wildlife, etc.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
China can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. Their Government has become far too big for its boots and needs to be taken down a peg or three. The question is how to do it without causing an all-out war.

The Swansea lagoon is a brilliant idea and worthy of going forward. However, the Welsh version of the Green Party et al have all come out against it on the grounds that all the concrete needed will cause shedloads of pollution or some such tripe. No thoughts for all the short- and long-term jobs that will be created, no thoughts about all the extra wetlands that will be created for all the wildlife, etc.
I think that the only way we would ever be able to compete, with China, would be if we introduced a Commie Government, forced all of our workers to work , for long hours and very low pay, unquestioningly, put the media under control, such that no negatives ever come out, and lock away everyone who speaks out against the regime.

They do get low prices and have quite high skills, which make them more competitive than we are!

Don't think we'll ever be able to compete, with them, so the only way forward will be to raise our import taxes?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:28 AM

Hi

We do have options.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2481DJ
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 10:28 AM

I watched an interesting programme yesterday about the history of China and Britain's role in shaping the situation we have today. I wonder how many people are aware of a led to b. It pretty much blamed Britain and France as well as the Geneva Convention for the rise of communism in China.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We do have options.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2481DJ
We don't seem very good at making deals. So much money is wasted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top