Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

01-08-2020, 12:08 PM

Animals and their uses

Another thread is being de-railed by discussion about my views on animals and their uses.

I will restate that I believe the human animal, which is top of the pile, has the right to use the animals of other species for food, clothing, medical experiments, and all the other things we require.

Any suffering they experience should be kept as minimalistic as possible. They should not be used for human 'entertainment' such as dog fighting, surrogate humans or toys. The idiots who dress dogs up, or even dye their fur, are sick in the head, imo.

I wonder how many people on this forum, who scream about animal cruelty, are vegetarian, don't use leather goods or take any meds tested on animals?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 12:23 PM

Re: Animals and their uses

Yes. I was right.
Definitely a WUM.

Exactly the same topics as last time.

That is my one and only contribution to this thread.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
Another thread is being de-railed by discussion about my views on animals and their uses.

I will restate that I believe the human animal, which is top of the pile, has the right to use the animals of other species for food, clothing, medical experiments, and all the other things we require.

Any suffering they experience should be kept as minimalistic as possible. They should not be used for human 'entertainment' such as dog fighting, surrogate humans or toys. The idiots who dress dogs up, or even dye their fur, are sick in the head, imo.

I wonder how many people on this forum, who scream about animal cruelty, are vegetarian, don't use leather goods or take any meds tested on animals?
Hitler & Co had much the same idea about Jews, Homosexuals, Gypsies, and the disabled.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 12:30 PM

Think there are two interesting words in the opening post which are pretty much the key issues:

1/. right

2/. require
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Think there are two interesting words in the opening post which are pretty much the key issues:

1/. right

2/. require
Wrong on both counts, Dex, there are no interesting words in the entire post - just some rather sad opinions.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

01-08-2020, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Hitler & Co had much the same idea about Jews, Homosexuals, Gypsies, and the disabled.
What a daft comment, and nothing to do with the topic in hand!

I take it you don't eat meat, use leather or meds tested on animals?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 12:51 PM

Well let's see eh?

Take your last sentence. "Whataboutary" is ALWAYS a very poor thing to employ when trying to deflect from something.

In this case the use/abuse of animals was focusing on the way that one particular dog was treated but let's set that aside.

We then moved on to the use of animals as a resource. That's fine too however the class "animal" is much too wide a class, it needs to be decomposed into animals bred to be a resource and animals that we live with in a domestic environment and then further decomposed into animals that work with us and animals that we primarily establish an emotional relationship with.

Sometimes the boundaries become blurred which is great and when an animal joins ones family - and they do join one's family - the whole relationship dynamics change.

Maybe it's just my perspective but rather than seeing people as being the top of a pile I don't. Instead I see us as part of an interdependent group. A gestalt. Not even the natural alpha predator.

And do on that basis alone we need to abandon this bullshit about being the top of a "pile" or having the right to do with what is below is on this imaginary "pile" as we want and best suits us.

It's a totally rubbish paradigm to base ANYTHING on.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Wrong on both counts, Dex, there are no interesting words in the entire post - just some rather sad opinions.
OK. Was just trying to salvage things in the hope....
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

01-08-2020, 01:58 PM

A bit strange that no one has answered my question about whether they use animal products, what are they trying to hide?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

01-08-2020, 02:07 PM

A bit strange that no one has answered my question about whether they use animal products, what are they trying to hide?
I don't particularly like animal cruelty for the sake of it. Unlike you (saw one of your posts when you were Terantula), I also prefer to afford them "rights".

Meat and leather don't tend to include prolonged and known cruelty in an animal's rearing, and their end is swift and relatively humane in most cases. So IMHO your point fails on that side.

As for animals used for testing meds, it may well be seen as a necessary evil in certain cases. As for the meds themselves, does anyone check the specific provenance of their development before use?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top