Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 06:50 PM

Moving an Electric Meter Box

I need to move My EletricityMeter Box from one building to another building, about 8 meters distance, it is cnnected by overhead wires about 40 years old.

My Network Operator is Western Power and I know their work are very expensive.

Can other qualified Electricians also do the work?
Can any Electrician give advice?

Thank you in anticipation.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 07:07 PM

Re: Moving an Electric Meter Box

Apply for a smart metre, then, when they come, tell them where you want it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 07:09 PM

I think anything to do with meters has to be done by your service provider.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 07:18 PM

Without promoting another forum Azure, if you ask the question on DiyNot, there are plenty of qualified electricians on there who can provide a definitive answer.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Without promoting another forum Azure, if you ask the question on DiyNot, there are plenty of qualified electricians on there who can provide a definitive answer.
Thank you so much, Dextrous63

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I think anything to do with meters has to be done by your service provider.
I agree. I can do anything in the house but not external.
For for Azure's comment too.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
I need to move My EletricityMeter Box from one building to another building, about 8 meters distance, it is cnnected by overhead wires about 40 years old.

My Network Operator is Western Power and I know their work are very expensive.

Can other qualified Electricians also do the work?
Can any Electrician give advice?

Thank you in anticipation.

What do you class as your electricity meter box? The (usually) white plastic box which houses your meter and incoming supply? If that's the case, an electrician can't do the work, it has to be done by your energy supplier.

Why does it need to be moved to another building?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 08:49 PM

If it is the main box that the energy company provided it is registered to that address. Judd is perfectly correct, even the fuse box inside the house the incomming main will need the suppler to disconnect I suspect as well.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

10-08-2020, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
What do you class as your electricity meter box? The (usually) white plastic box which houses your meter and incoming supply? If that's the case, an electrician can't do the work, it has to be done by your energy supplier.

Why does it need to be moved to another building?
Judd. Thank you for your reply.

It is a small white box for House only, in an Office building at the rear of the house.
My Business was run from there and Electricity installation and wirring was done by Western Power in one large Metal Box to service 45 Residents, years ago.
There is also another white meter for a commercial Shop which also needs removing.

The reason for removing is, I have now sold the business including the Office building, and if my electricity trips up, it means going out sometimes at night to reset the switch. So I think it woud be better outside my home and the Shop one outside the Shop.
I do have switch board inside the house with fuses.

The New Owner doesn't mind if I keep it there for the present.

However if I sold the House it would have to be moved.

Hope this makes sense.

PS
I do have keys to the Office Building.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2020, 11:04 PM

From that description, it appears that your house supply is wired from the office building as a sub-main? If that's the case, you could ask your supply company to put a dedicated supply to your home and then get the sub-main disconnected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top