Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 02:57 PM

I'm thinking about dying.....

.......well not just yet, but it will obviously happen sooner or later

Though what I'm really thinking about is my funeral

For various reasons I've lost touch with most of my friends & family; not deliberately, it just sort of worked out like that

That means there would not be many mourners
Besides that I'm an atheist, and have never enjoyed big do's like large white weddings and similar occasions

I have left a will which includes permission for me to be a donor, so I was thinking that after anything useful has been harvested I would ask for something like a direct funeral, or as is becoming more likely, a cremation

Pure Cremations often advertise on TV, and I've had a brief look at their website, but I'm sure there are similar organisations

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing please? (No, not firsthand, you know what I mean!)
Or any other comments?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 03:02 PM

Re: I'm thinking about dying.....

We have had funeral plans in place with Age UK for years if that's any use but our funerals still have to be arranged through a Funeral Director.

I've seen those ads for Pure Cremations and thought they could be rip-off merchants in as much as they might charge you the earth compared to a local place. I'd ask around, you never know what services a local Funeral Director will offer these days and at what cost.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 03:08 PM

too many death chasers advertising on TV and lump sum providers when your gone. Why worry your dead so won't know anything about it much less care
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 03:08 PM

Humanist funerals are good. Had one for my late OH. Through a funeral directors. None of us are religious. The funeral cost £4,000 plus & that was 5 years ago.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 03:54 PM

I've heard that humanist funerals are the way forward.
To be honest, I try not to think about it. We have a funeral plan but prefer to live each lovely day waking up just grateful to see another sunrise
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 04:11 PM

I have left my body to medical science. So hopefully there will be no rip off funeral costs. Failing this preferred eventuality. I have left in place instructions for an absolutely no frill's cremation. As a lifelong agnostic, a funeral with a religious element would be totally wrong. So a cardboard coffin burnt at the most convenient time will suit me.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 05:03 PM

I have just had yet another call form someone trying to sell me a funeral plan .
I am just going to leave it to my kids .
As I they are due to pay IHT on my estate they may as well pay it for my funeral as I believe the tax man allows this .
Not sure though - just looked it up it’s isnt .
Nope they want their pound of flesh even on funeral costs .
Anyway I will be dead so won’t know what they will do for me.
I don’t care anymore .
I have carried a donation card for years but as I am getting older don’t know if any of them will be any good for anyone.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 05:36 PM

I have already made plans and put them in my will.
There is a place near here that provides woodland burials.

No funeral, just a few words from anyone who has something to say and a burial surrounded by trees and wild flowers will suit me fine ..

Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 05:41 PM

A direct funeral may not be everyone's choice but suits me. All details left in will with solicitor.

https://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/ar...ect-cremation/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
.......well not just yet, but it will obviously happen sooner or later

Though what I'm really thinking about is my funeral

For various reasons I've lost touch with most of my friends & family; not deliberately, it just sort of worked out like that

That means there would not be many mourners
Besides that I'm an atheist, and have never enjoyed big do's like large white weddings and similar occasions

I have left a will which includes permission for me to be a donor, so I was thinking that after anything useful has been harvested I would ask for something like a direct funeral, or as is becoming more likely, a cremation

Pure Cremations often advertise on TV, and I've had a brief look at their website, but I'm sure there are similar organisations

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing please? (No, not firsthand, you know what I mean!)
Or any other comments?
If you have no family to burden with funeral costs then why bother at all? Just let the authorities deal with it and pay for it too. I doubt many 'asylum seekers' make provisions for when they die but somehow it all gets sorted out.

Enjoy the money yourself I say.

We don't want you leaving us just yet though Zulu.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top