Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 07:07 PM

The return of Ratus

I had had my suspicions as the bird food was cleaned up too clean and the fat balls going down at the rate of knots .
This morning hanging from one of the fat ball hangers was a sleek and shiny young rat .
So cute when I went out to inspect it it peeped around ( hopeful that I was refilling I expect ) they really are endearing creatures .

I just don’t want to be overrun so I will change the position of this fat ball hanger and I only feed in the morning .
It just shows though it’s getting colder and the wildlife is getting hungrier.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 07:32 PM

Re: The return of Ratus

Muddy, moving the bird food will not work, nor will only feeding in the mornings. Here the rats were out in daylight all day. I haven't fed the birds for months, since I saw a family of 4 baby rats on my bird table.
My gardener who also does next doors garden said he saw evidence of rats in their garden under their shed, they have not stopped feeding the birds. In that case if I start feeding again they will be back here. I hate not doing it, but I don't want to encourage them to come back here, as long as I don't see them it's OK.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 07:36 PM

If I saw rats that would be my call to get the rat killer out I don"t want them in my at all ,might seem appealing but they are *Not*,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 07:37 PM

I always thought rats were nocturnal but have just read this disturbing article .

If you are seeing rats during the day then something has happened that disturbed the animal. Rats are scared creatures that spend a large part of their brain power figuring out how not to get eaten. Coming out during the middle of the day is not normal behavior.

The most likely scenario for spotting a rat during the day is that there is an overpopulation problem. The University of Massachusetts at Amherst suggests that for every rat that you see there are about another 25 present. When a rat nest gets too crowded the things will start attacking each other and at that point the rat’s safest bet is to leave the den and find a new place to nest.

If you see rats running around during he day then chances are that you have a MASSIVE infestation on your hands!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-09-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
If I saw rats that would be my call to get the rat killer out I don"t want them in my at all ,might seem appealing but they are *Not*,
I have humane traps so may well put them out I then take the rats and release them somewhere else .
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 07:39 PM

Hateful creatures
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2020, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Hateful creatures
No they're not hateful & the babies do look rather cute.
But they can carry disease & though clean animals & here they don't live in sewers, they can be a pest.

Son had tame ratties for years & they were very cute & make good kids pets, they don't bite or smell if handled properly from a very young age & cleaned out regularly. They also get imprinted on the owners/handlers & can be very friendly.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 03:30 AM

Many, many years ago I briefly shared a house in Brixton with a fella that had a black and white pet rat. When my daughter first saw it she was so excited, pointed and said, "Cow!" Her sense of scale was unfortunately learned from Ladybird books.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Muddy, moving the bird food will not work, nor will only feeding in the mornings. Here the rats were out in daylight all day. I haven't fed the birds for months, since I saw a family of 4 baby rats on my bird table.
My gardener who also does next doors garden said he saw evidence of rats in their garden under their shed, they have not stopped feeding the birds. In that case if I start feeding again they will be back here. I hate not doing it, but I don't want to encourage them to come back here, as long as I don't see them it's OK.

I agree Tiff. I have had them any time of day coming and going.
Last lear I had a big rat on one of my bird tables, stuffing his face, then later on, 2 half grown ones, so it was obvious they had been breeding somewhere.

I had to stop putting food out completely for months, so there was nothing of interest here for them. It worked, and they cleared off.

My neightbour two doors down found 13 nesting under his shed!
My neighbour the other side has chickens, and the rats have eaten through the floor of his hen house to get at the feed.

I hate the darn things, and worry about me or the dogs getting Lepto from the rats pee.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 10:40 AM

My sister used to have two very large pet rats, she called them Bonnie & Clyde, they were really intelligent and loved my Sister LOL. She was heartbroken when they died.

I have never seen a rat in my garden and know nothing about wild rats so I can't help. Mupsy, I didnt know about Lepto, never heard of it. Must look it up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top