Join for free
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Battery

I have a battery powered strimmer,which is the best way to store over winter,can't see it being used for a good 3 months or more,let it discharge or keep charged once a week/fortnight,any thoughts?

I have a petrol engine mower I know how that will be next spring,this kinda stops me buying a battery powered one,how to look after the battery over the winter months,thought's?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 11:21 AM

Re: Battery

With most battery tools these days I just leave the battery on the charger all the time, as most chargers will just cut out when the battery is full and will cut in again if the battery loses charge. I was told at the tool shop that this keeps them in the best condition. Probably worth checking on the individual machine instructions though...
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 11:27 AM

It will depend on the type of battery - lithium-ion batteries tend to hold their charge and if you do allow them to discharge fully, it could be difficult to recharge them again. Take the battery out of the strimmer and charge until it's full and then just top it up occasionally.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I have a battery powered strimmer,which is the best way to store over winter,can't see it being used for a good 3 months or more,let it discharge or keep charged once a week/fortnight,any thoughts?

I have a petrol engine mower I know how that will be next spring,this kinda stops me buying a battery powered one,how to look after the battery over the winter months,thought's?
I also have a petrol engine mower but one with an electric start. That is unused over the winter so what I do is to fully charge the battery providing the electric start and leave it disconnected over the winter. When it comes to using it again I just connect it again then no problems using it. This I have done for the last 10 or 11 years without any problems. A local professional gardener reckoned I have done well to get that much service out of a battery as he only gets three or four years' out of his. A family member, who is an electrician by trade, also recommended fully charging the battery, then disconnecting it when not in use as that does not allow it to discharge.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 12:14 PM

Thanks all, it is a lithium-ion battery so will keep it charged.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the above..it had never crossed my mind about topping up batteries over the winter

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top