Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 07:35 AM

Shooting ban

I am glad to read this I live in the country and the peasant poults were released a few weeks ago . The poor things are wandering about getting run over while they await being killed by the shooting Fraternity. They are very poor fliers so it’s not that hard to shoot them They are lovely to look at but they are not natural to the U.K. and are brought in just to be killed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shooting.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 07:47 AM

Re: Shooting ban

Hi

In my younger days, shooting was a way of feeding the family.

I also had ferrets and long nets.

Times change.

It was a necessity then, no longer.

I do not shoot for sport.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 07:59 AM

I have done clay pigeon and sweet shooting myself .
People like to shoot birds because of the social cache attached no on shots to eat these days. Shooting is an eye watering ply expensive sport .
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 08:02 AM

We have loads of Pheasants wandering about in our garden.

The other day, I was sitting in the Lounge reading my Kindle, when I looked up, there was a Male Pheasant looking at me through our Glass Back door.

They are beautiful birds.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 09:47 AM

We get regular shoots down this way through the winter,I'm sure its gainful employment for many to organise and keep pheasants throughout the breeding season and release through to beating,loading guns collecting the dead birds.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

31-10-2020, 09:53 AM

Yes a nice regular job like snow shifting .
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 10:02 AM

It is hard to be sympathetic over the shooting of a bird that already seems to have a death wish. Pheasants have a tendency to wait at the edge of the road, and then run out in front of you at the point when you are too close to avoid hitting them. Even so, I can't help wondering at the mentality of a person who enjoys killing things.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

31-10-2020, 10:08 AM

They do have a suicidal tendency ut the poor things have been confined to a pen in a corpse since being chicks and they are hand fed . No one taught them about road s
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 10:11 AM

I have never understood why anyone wants to kill for sport. In my mind they may as well be killing a human. A bird like foxes and other animals has been given a life and i personally would never intentionally kill them.

Its time hunting of any kind was banned. Like swimmy says, in days gone by it was done for food but these days there really is no need. It just seems to me its done just to satisfy their bloodthirsty appetite. . Barbaric might be the wrong word as some see it but that's how it feels to me.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
They do have a suicidal tendency ut the poor things have been confined to a pen in a corpse since being chicks and they are hand fed . No one taught them about road s
But wouldn't you expect any creature -wild or domesticated- to have some sort of instinct that inhibited it from putting itself in the path of a large, fast moving object?

In their defence, however, once they do place themselves in front of you, they suddenly seem to come to their senses and desperately try to get out of the way. What actually seals their fate is their apparent inability to come to a decision: They keep changing their mind about which direction leads to safety.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top