Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 11:19 PM

Ominous News!!

The Telegraph tonight reports tonight that Boris is planning to
intervene in brexit talks this week to clear up any sticking points
in the talks???
If this is not just media shyte stirring it could be bad news for brexit
as it mentions that he intends to remove any remaining obstacles
to obtaining a deal !!
We know what the remaining obstacles are dont we ??
He had better be talking about obstacles on the EU side and NOT
on our side?? lmo he should keep out untill its time to sign
something, Frosty is doing ok !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 09:12 AM

Re: Ominous News!!

Not so sure DM ...

I know there is talk of the EU retrospectively ratifying the deal so it looks like we are still in good shape.

Unless your a member state in which case the deal will not have any vote by the member states and instead it will be approved only by the commission, just like Singapore.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 10:52 AM

It's all just so much waffle again if you read it; there's nothing at all suggesting where the supposed intervention theory has come from other than "it is expected".
Oh yeah?
Expected by whom other than a few journo's?

And in fact the blurb goes on to say that 'A source on the UK side of the talks said: “Both sides seem to think we will get there, but nothing is certain and Boris Johnson will not water down his demands in order to get a deal." '

In other words nothing has changed.

The Express is saying "Boris Johnson issues checkmate warning to EU over deal - 'Time is up'" - but TBH it is more of the same: supposition and nothing more.

Wait until something happens and it gets widely-reported and can be substantiated, because we have seen far too much of this rubbish over a long period of time to place any reliance on such over-enthusiastic non-stories.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Not so sure DM ...

I know there is talk of the EU retrospectively ratifying the deal so it looks like we are still in good shape.

Unless your a member state in which case the deal will not have any vote by the member states and instead it will be approved only by the commission, just like Singapore.
Thats exactly my point Bread?
I think talks are going quite well as far as uk is concerned so there
is no need for Boris to intervene is there??
Im hoping it was just a mischevious media report, but, it was the
Telegraph? Which is usually a cut above the other rags??
However, fingers crossed, so far Boris has not confirmed anything
yet!!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

23-11-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It's all just so much waffle again if you read it; there's nothing at all suggesting where the supposed intervention theory has come from other than "it is expected".
Oh yeah?
Expected by whom other than a few journo's?

And in fact the blurb goes on to say that 'A source on the UK side of the talks said: “Both sides seem to think we will get there, but nothing is certain and Boris Johnson will not water down his demands in order to get a deal." '

In other words nothing has changed.

The Express is saying "Boris Johnson issues checkmate warning to EU over deal - 'Time is up'" - but TBH it is more of the same: supposition and nothing more.

Wait until something happens and it gets widely-reported and can be substantiated, because we have seen far too much of this rubbish over a long period of time to place any reliance on such over-enthusiastic non-stories.

Yes ,l agree with you Zaphod, but it was in the Telegraph?
Maybe my opinion of them is misplaced??
The talks are progreessing well as far as uk is concerned imo?
So why would Boris intervene as l just explained to Bread! 😀

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes ,l agree with you Zaphod, but it was in the Telegraph?
Maybe my opinion of them is misplaced??
The talks are progreessing well as far as uk is concerned imo?
So why would Boris intervene as l just explained to Bread! 😀

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
The Telegraph can print carp just like any other source, sadly.
It's clickbait & nothing more and though they might not be as bad as some others they are still guilty at times.

They all do it - a particularly funny recent example was Laura Keunnsberg last week gleefully suggesting that a cancelled Brexit meeting meant that a deal was in the air!
Err, no.
Covid was in the air!

I do wish media would report news - or even leaks as just that; a leak - rather than inventing stories based upon opinion or hearsay.

We have waited for over four years.
Now that we are within 6 short weeks of a final resolution it is only to be expected that tensions are running high, so extra vigilance when interpreting our biased media's output will be necessary until we see a definite outcome.
In my very humble opinion, of course.

Basically?
I've seen far too much crud in the last four or five years to fall for such a thing without proof.
Boris might indeed speak again to von der Leyen but as of now there is nothing from either side suggesting that this is planned - other than (now) many media sources saying only that it is "expected" after, presumably, reading the same themselves in the Telegraph.
Cynical I might be, but I'm pretty sure that the Telegraph will have received a lot more "clicks" as a result.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 12:12 PM

The Telegraph can print carp just like any other source, sadly.
It's clickbait & nothing more and though they might not be as bad as some others they are still guilty at times.

They all do it - a particularly funny recent example was Laura Keunnsberg last week gleefully suggesting that a cancelled Brexit meeting meant that a deal was in the air!
Err, no.
Covid was in the air!

I do wish media would report news - or even leaks as just that; a leak - rather than inventing stories based upon opinion or hearsay.

We have waited for over four years.
Now that we are within 6 short weeks of a final resolution it is only to be expected that tensions are running high, so extra vigilance when interpreting our biased media's output will be necessary until we see a definite outcome.
In my very humble opinion, of course.

Basically?
I've seen far too much crud in the last four or five years to fall for such a thing without proof.
Boris might indeed speak again to von der Leyen but as of now there is nothing from either side suggesting that this is planned - other than (now) many media sources saying only that it is "expected" after, presumably, reading the same themselves in the Telegraph.
Cynical I might be, but I'm pretty sure that the Telegraph will have received a lot more "clicks" as a result.
We all have to get our information from somewhere, Zaphod, all our history, Politics, personal relationships, etc are based on "opinions" and speculation, unless we are, actually, there to see it all happen.

Maybe we don't need to be reminded, over and over, that everything might be click bait.

Click bait is about everything!

It might, also, be called marketing.

No point in having forum discussions if we can't say what we think, rather than what there is!

Zaphod
Lincs UK

23-11-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
We all have to get our information from somewhere, Zaphod, all our history, Politics, personal relationships, etc are based on "opinions" and speculation, unless we are, actually, there to see it all happen.

Maybe we don't need to be reminded, over and over, that everything might be click bait.

Click bait is about everything!

It might, also, be called marketing.

No point in having forum discussions if we can't say what we think, rather than what there is!

I mostly agree - did it seem that I was trying to dismiss an opinion?
If so I apologise as that was certainly not my intent, but I have long since learned that "beating around the bush" is too frequently counterproductive.

As a marketing tactic, misinformation is surely counterproductive and especially at a time when traditional media is struggling for survival.
Some people do not seem to be able to recognise clickbait (no reference to you specifically there, @Donkeyman ) and nor indeed are some people able to recognize misinformation etc.
That is sad but evidently true - unless of course there really are loads of trolls about, because the reason for some of the most heated discussions on TV and in forums (not just here) can only be the result of one or the other; misinformation or trolling.

"No point in having forum discussions if we can't say what we think, rather than what there is!" - I quite agree except when trying to argue that you think that black is in fact white.
Or maybe orange.
Opinions are fine but if someone is determined to blindly go against facts or accepted norms all they're doing is being a deliberately awkward and also possibly unpleasant cuss.

What concerns me Ted is that our media are trying to shape opinion with their current tactics, rather than do as they should which is inform.
It is the mass misrepresentation in media which is responsible for contributing much of the divide regarding Brexit for example, and they do similar with far too many things.
When the information we receive from our media is so biased and finding impartial sources so difficult ............ well, as the old saying goes, poop in: poop out.
Let's hope this trend changes soon.

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

23-11-2020, 01:39 PM

I mostly agree - did it seem that I was trying to dismiss an opinion?
If so I apologise as that was certainly not my intent, but I have long since learned that "beating around the bush" is too frequently counterproductive.

As a marketing tactic, misinformation is surely counterproductive and especially at a time when traditional media is struggling for survival.
Some people do not seem to be able to recognise clickbait (no reference to you specifically there, @Donkeyman ) and nor indeed are some people able to recognize misinformation etc.
That is sad but evidently true - unless of course there really are loads of trolls about, because the reason for some of the most heated discussions on TV and in forums (not just here) can only be the result of one or the other; misinformation or trolling.

"No point in having forum discussions if we can't say what we think, rather than what there is!" - I quite agree except when trying to argue that you think that black is in fact white.
Or maybe orange.
Opinions are fine but if someone is determined to blindly go against facts or accepted norms all they're doing is being a deliberately awkward and also possibly unpleasant cuss.

What concerns me Ted is that our media are trying to shape opinion with their current tactics, rather than do as they should which is inform.
It is the mass misrepresentation in media which is responsible for contributing much of the divide regarding Brexit for example, and they do similar with far too many things.
When the information we receive from our media is so biased and finding impartial sources so difficult ............ well, as the old saying goes, poop in: poop out.
Let's hope this trend changes soon.

What can l say??😁😁

Donkeyman! 👍😀👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK

23-11-2020, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
What can l say??😁😁

Donkeyman! 👍😀👍
Dunno, but if you feel you should say something please don't let what I write stop you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top