Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 10:32 PM

The UK Global Tarrifs

Here you are ...

Interesting stuff ... !

https://briefingsforbritain.co.uk/wh...global-tariff/
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 01:56 PM

Re: The UK Global Tarrifs

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Here you are ...

Interesting stuff ... !

Will the reductions translate to the cosumer l wonder Bread??
Or will the distributors pocket it?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Will the reductions translate to the cosumer l wonder Bread??
Or will the distributors pocket it?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
This is what has already happened with the EU and why they are so keen for us to remain bound to the level playing field.

Because the UK and the member states had no tariffs on trade, our suppliers (the 27) put up their prices to compensate as they knew that as long as they were below the external tarrif amounts from 3rd countries, they would still be cheaper.

Now, with the UK removing tarrifs on about 80%+ of goods, these products are now cheaper from other countries on a unit price basis. If the EU wants to remain competitive, then it needs to have its member states lower the cost of goods supplied to us, which will be a big impact to industries in the 27 in terms of wages, operating costs, unemployment and for the EU less tax revenues.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 04:49 PM

This is what has already happened with the EU and why they are so keen for us to remain bound to the level playing field.

Because the UK and the member states had no tariffs on trade, our suppliers (the 27) put up their prices to compensate as they knew that as long as they were below the external tarrif amounts from 3rd countries, they would still be cheaper.

Now, with the UK removing tarrifs on about 80%+ of goods, these products are now cheaper from other countries on a unit price basis. If the EU wants to remain competitive, then it needs to have its member states lower the cost of goods supplied to us, which will be a big impact to industries in the 27 in terms of wages, operating costs, unemployment and for the EU less tax revenues.
It's no wonder they're running round like headless chickens now. I wonder when the Commission will tell the Balmpot to throw the towel in?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
It's no wonder they're running round like headless chickens now. I wonder when the Commission will tell the Balmpot to throw the towel in?
Not much chance of that!
They would rather see their own suffer - then try to blame it on us for daring to leave.
Wait until the job losses in the EU start to hit, & then their propaganda machine will be on double time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 06:57 PM

Here you are ...

Interesting stuff ... !

I'm afraid all that is way above what my little brain can understand!

Our most likely big purchase next year will be a replacement car in March. We were hoping to get another Golf, but I expect that we may have to think again if tariffs put the price up a great deal.
I see four possible alternatives:

- Buy another Golf and pay a couple of thousand squids on top, assuming that is what the new tariffs mean.
- Buy another Golf and pay the same as before if the German car makers lower their prices to compensate and retain sales.
- Buy a Japanese or other non-EU car instead, though I'm not sure what the tariffs would be for such other countries.
- Buy a British-made car, except that we don't seem to make them any more!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 07:42 PM

JBR, personally I wouldn't be buying any EU-made car if the EU don't give us a trade deal with no strings.
That's not a "dig" at you, but how I feel after over four years of seeing the shenanigans and attitudes of such EU types as Tusk, Verhofstadt, Junckers, Selmayer, Barnier and more besides.
I just wouldn't, on principal, under any circumstances be lining the pockets of any country which is a major member of an EU that are as unreasonable and determined to try and cause the UK harm as that bunch seem to be at this moment in time.

If I had to buy (and it would be "had to" rather than just wanted to) I would by preference be waiting at least 6 months and seeing what happens regarding imports and tariffs, hoping that either the Koreans or the Japanese for example would promote UK-based manufacturing since we buy so many cars.

Were it myself I would consider the new Toyota Corolla instead, built in Derby too.

If not I might go Kia Ceed which seems to be a good alternative..
Or if Honda relent and keep Swindon I might buy the new Civic, which is looking to be a good Golf alternative & they aren't due until spring 2021 - but not unless they bring manufacturing back to the UK.

But again I certainly would not under any circumstances be lining the pockets of any country which is a major member of an EU that are as unreasonable and determined to cause the UK harm as they seem to be at this moment in time.

I would rather make do and go without new until things change in favour of British employment opportunities.
For too long I have seen EU policies decimate British industry.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
JBR, personally I wouldn't be buying any EU-made car if the EU don't give us a trade deal with no strings.
That's not a "dig" at you, but how I feel after over four years of seeing the shenanigans and attitudes of such EU types as Tusk, Verhofstadt, Junckers, Selmayer, Barnier and more besides.
I just wouldn't, on principal, under any circumstances be lining the pockets of any country which is a major member of an EU that are as unreasonable and determined to try and cause the UK harm as that bunch seem to be at this moment in time.

If I had to buy (and it would be "had to" rather than just wanted to) I would by preference be waiting at least 6 months and seeing what happens regarding imports and tariffs, hoping that either the Koreans or the Japanese for example would promote UK-based manufacturing since we buy so many cars.

Were it myself I would consider the new Toyota Corolla instead, built in Derby too.

If not I might go Kia Ceed which seems to be a good alternative..
Or if Honda relent and keep Swindon I might buy the new Civic, which is looking to be a good Golf alternative & they aren't due until spring 2021 - but not unless they bring manufacturing back to the UK.

But again I certainly would not under any circumstances be lining the pockets of any country which is a major member of an EU that are as unreasonable and determined to cause the UK harm as they seem to be at this moment in time.

I would rather make do and go without new until things change in favour of British employment opportunities.
For too long I have seen EU policies decimate British industry.
Indeed. I think my third alternative is looking like the most attractive to me, though we do like the Golf.

We'll have to wait and see what the boss decides!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

30-11-2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Indeed. I think my third alternative is looking like the most attractive to me, though we do like the Golf.

We'll have to wait and see what the boss decides!
Get a used one

Win win !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Get a used one

Win win !
We already have a used one!

Keeping it is, of course, a further option. It's only three years old and has no problems. The only thing is that this is the time when things begin to go wrong!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top