Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 02:25 PM

A good bit of overtaking!

Nobody could fault this as a really good example of overtaking, I mean 'over' being the operative word and 'well over the top'!

What a lucky day for that pilot and those drivers below!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-55184326
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 02:34 PM

Re: A good bit of overtaking!

Nicely executed, and they say in aviation, every landing that you walk away from is a good landing..
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 03:32 PM

Wow! Good job there wasn't a lot of traffic on that road.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 05:42 PM

Amazing!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 09:55 PM

There were two different landings there Baz, the first one done at night, collided with a car as it came to a stop. I'm surprised the driver in the car didn't see the flashing beacon on the plane and pull over. But the second one in daylight managed a successful landing with no damage.....
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 10:06 PM

This occasionally happens all over the world, these quick descents to land, hopefully safely.
Kudos and admiration to the pilots who do this and land without injury to others.
The one that sticks closest to my heart is Sully, landing the plane on the Hudson (2 hours from my home). He's the best!!

Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III (born January 23, 1951) is an American retired Air Force fighter pilot and airline captain. He is best known for his role as pilot in command in the 2009 ditching of US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River off Manhattan after both engines were disabled by a bird strike; all 155 people aboard survived. Sullenberger is a speaker on aviation safety[1] and has helped develop new protocols for airline safety. He served as the co-chairman, along with first officer Jeffrey Skiles (his co-pilot during Flight 1549), of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)'s Young Eagles youth introduction-to-aviation program from 2009 to 2013.[2]

Sullenberger retired from US Airways after 30 years as a commercial pilot on March 3, 2010.[3] In May of the following year, he was hired by CBS News as an aviation and safety expert.[4]
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
This occasionally happens all over the world, these quick descents to land, hopefully safely.
Kudos and admiration to the pilots who do this and land without injury to others.
The one that sticks closest to my heart is Sully, landing the plane on the Hudson (2 hours from my home). He's the best!!

Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III (born January 23, 1951) is an American retired Air Force fighter pilot and airline captain. He is best known for his role as pilot in command in the 2009 ditching of US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River off Manhattan after both engines were disabled by a bird strike; all 155 people aboard survived. Sullenberger is a speaker on aviation safety[1] and has helped develop new protocols for airline safety. He served as the co-chairman, along with first officer Jeffrey Skiles (his co-pilot during Flight 1549), of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)'s Young Eagles youth introduction-to-aviation program from 2009 to 2013.[2]

Sullenberger retired from US Airways after 30 years as a commercial pilot on March 3, 2010.[3] In May of the following year, he was hired by CBS News as an aviation and safety expert.[4]
Tom Hanks did a sterling job in the film also Right Now, he could fly me round the world anytime......

Sully I mean, not Tom Hanks......
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 10:46 PM

I remember seeing that on the news, quite some feat to have successfully done that. There's more information about it on the link below if anyone's interested:

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/ta...lenberger-iii/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Tom Hanks did a sterling job in the film also Right Now, he could fly me round the world anytime......

Sully I mean, not Tom Hanks......
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) flew us to Norway. My claim to fame.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-12-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) flew us to Norway. My claim to fame.
That's amazing Longdogs.....

But on our first holiday abroad back in 1980 the pilot announced himself as 'Captain James Kirk'.....
Beam me over to Benidorm James......
I think he was on a five year mission!.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top