Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 01:31 PM

Grenfell cladding !!

Just seen a report that a lock of. flats under renovation , have had stacks of the Kingspan cooltherm insulation delivered to their car
park?? It would appear that it is planned to use this highly
inflammable product on the facias of the flats, much to the
consternation f the tenants!!
I find it puzzling that the manufacturers of this discredited product
Have the gall to continue promoting the sales of this crap ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔👎
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 01:48 PM

Re: Grenfell cladding !!

So do I, that’s if it’s true!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 01:49 PM

Kingspan and the like is widely used throughout the construction generally and house building in particular, but mainly in roofs and, in my experience, only in situations where it is protected from fire by layers of plasterboard or the like. I would think that being used externally since Grenfell is certainly a no no, but as an insulator it really is about the best material you can get, and I would think it is on site for internal use, as has been the standard practice for many years now.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Kingspan and the like is widely used throughout the construction generally and house building in particular, but mainly in roofs and, in my experience, only in situations where it is protected from fire by layers of plasterboard or the like. I would think that being used externally since Grenfell is certainly a no no, but as an insulator it really is about the best material you can get, and I would think it is on site for internal use, as has been the standard practice for many years now.
Are you sure they have been using external cladding for internal
applications Barry??
Surely they would be entirely different products??
My on feelings on insulation are, IF IT BURNS DONT USE IT !!!
As Grenfell has shown, standard practice has become suspect ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

13-01-2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
So do I, that’s if it’s true!
Sorry for not including a link Pauline, I'm afraid l haven mastered
the art yet??
But there is a nice photo in the daily mail this morning showing
the stack of boxes complete with the name of the product
contained inside!!
Cause for concern l believe??

Donkeyman!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 02:22 PM

The external version of this type of insulation is supposed to be sealed within a metal shield to prevent access to it by fire, but the main use for expanded foam insulations was initially for internal use and then later adapted for external cladding which, under normal circumstances, is much less likely to be affected by internal fires.

I do agree, however, that the whole concept needs revisiting as to the safety implications within any structure, and that I also agree that any highly flammable substance shouldn't have any use whatsoever unless guaranteed not to be attacked by fire, such as buried under concrete floors for instance.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

13-01-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The external version of this type of insulation is supposed to be sealed within a metal shield to prevent access to it by fire, but the main use for expanded foam insulations was initially for internal use and then later adapted for external cladding which, under normal circumstances, is much less likely to be affected by internal fires.

I do agree, however, that the whole concept needs revisiting as to the safety implications within any structure, and that I also agree that any highly flammable substance shouldn't have any use whatsoever unless guaranteed not to be attacked by fire, such as buried under concrete floors for instance.
Is that what's called underfloor heating Barry?? 😃
I remember putting some polystyrene ceiling tiles up for me mum
in the 1950' s, when l visited her some time later l noticed they were
no longer there, she said they had to take them down as they were
not safe??
Just shows how things change over time eh
From safe to unsafe, then back to safe again ???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 02:39 PM

Where's the problem? If it's being used correctly and within its spec surely to goodness don't waste it - USE IT.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

13-01-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Where's the problem? If it's being used correctly and within its spec surely to goodness don't waste it - USE IT.
I won't waste my time answering that Todger, you are obviously
not all there!!!

Donkeyman! 👎👎
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I won't waste my time answering that Todger, you are obviously
not all there!!!

Donkeyman! 👎👎
Very good --- but where IS the problem if it's being used correctly and within its spec?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top