Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 02:47 PM

Kitchen things you didn't realise you were doing wrong

I just thought I'd start this thread as cooking today's roast, I noticed something on the tin foil box. "always use the non-shiny side". Now why is this the first time I have heard of this? I always thought the shiny side would reflect more heat and be my hygienic as it's less likely to have any surface area and loose molecules than a matt surface. but no bacofoil say otherwise.

Can someone shed light on this?

The other recent contentious point I saw (this time online ) was how to hold a tin opener when opening a can. There is a big debate as to whether you hold it sideways to the can or horizontally on top of the lid. I do the latter so that the whole lid comes off, but apparently you aren't supposed to do that (health and safety).....

Anyway the correct way here is the way I do it, but half the population apparently disagree

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 02:49 PM

Re: Kitchen things you didn't realise you were doing wrong

I use shiny side up on tin foil, and open cans with the tin opener to the side, so the jaggy thing catches the edge. Works for me so no reason to change!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 03:29 PM

I never do anything wrong in the kitchen, I am perfect
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I just thought I'd start this thread as cooking today's roast, I noticed something on the tin foil box. "always use the non-shiny side". Now why is this the first time I have heard of this? I always thought the shiny side would reflect more heat and be my hygienic as it's less likely to have any surface area and loose molecules than a matt surface. but no bacofoil say otherwise.

Can someone shed light on this?
This Is the Real Reason Aluminum Foil Has a Shiny and a Dull Side

https://www.rd.com/article/real-reas...iny-dull-side/

It’s a well-established question and one that we’ve been too afraid to ask our mothers: Should we use the shiny or the dull side of aluminum foil when we cook? And have we been doing it wrong this entire time?!

Concerned cooks, you can breathe a sigh of relief: As it turns out, there’s no “correct” side of aluminum foil to use when cooking so using it on either side is not one of the cooking mistakes that could ruin your food. According to the Huffington Post, they’re both equally effective at heating your food—so just choose whatever side you prefer.

If there’s no trick to it, then why, exactly, does aluminum foil have a shiny and a dull side in the first place? Experts at Reynold’s Kitchen say that the difference between the two sides is due to a manufacturing process called milling, during which heat and tension is applied to stretch and shape the foil. Two layers of foil are pressed together and milled at the same time, because otherwise, it would break.

“Where the foil is in contact with another layer, that’s the ‘dull’ side,” Reynold’s explains. “The ‘shiny’ side is the side milled without being in contact with another sheet of metal. The performance of the foil is the same, whichever side you use.”

But pay attention if you are using non-stick foil; in that case, there is a difference between the two sides. Since the non-stick coating is only applied to one side, you’ll want to use the dull side. Side note: There will be a label that designates the “non-stick side” in case you forget.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 04:00 PM

I believe it is because the non shiny side won't stick to the food... at least that is what it says on my current roll, but that is how I have always used it anyway!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 05:33 PM

There is a big debate as to whether you hold it sideways to the can or horizontally on top of the lid. I do the latter so that the whole lid comes off, but apparently you aren't supposed to do that (health and safety).....
I'm confused. You say you 'do the latter' (i.e. use the opener horizontally on top of the lid) which is apparently wrong - but in the video she shows that using it that way is the right way

Did you mean to say you 'do the former'? Or am I just not getting any of this at all (entirely possible based on my life experience )
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I'm confused. You say you 'do the latter' (i.e. use the opener horizontally on top of the lid) which is apparently wrong - but in the video she shows that using it that way is the right way

Did you mean to say you 'do the former'? Or am I just not getting any of this at all (entirely possible based on my life experience )
I do it the way it says is right in the video but on a recent twitter storm people were saying that's wrong. It's as contentious an issue as whether you put the loo roll with the paper under or over. Just happened to find a video clip that agrees with my method Ring pull cans are the best way to resolve the matter!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-02-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I believe it is because the non shiny side won't stick to the food... at least that is what it says on my current roll, but that is how I have always used it anyway!

I never thought of that Twink. Good point. I can't believe I never noticed this on the packaging before. But yes today's roast was as usual stuck in places when I was trying to get the gravy goodness out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 08:53 PM

I'm sure I researched the tin foil conundrum once before and the answer was that it didn't matter either way.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 09:07 PM

I do it the way it says is right in the video but on a recent twitter storm people were saying that's wrong. It's as contentious an issue as whether you put the loo roll with the paper under or over. Just happened to find a video clip that agrees with my method Ring pull cans are the best way to resolve the matter!
Ah I'm with you now! Thing is, I don't have one of those sort of can openers - mine is one that, allegedly, can be used single handedly. Yes, if you've got non arthritic hands, but I have to hold it with both hands. You have to grip the handles and use a scissor action with them which propels the rotary cutter around the can.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top