Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 01:16 PM

Lake District: Pop-up campsites 'will destroy' areas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-56296414

Pop-up campsites will "destroy" parts of the Lake District popular with visitors, opponents have claimed.

Small-scale sites have emerged in the wake of the government's relaxation of planning rules, aimed at helping tourism after lockdown ends. But residents argue they are unsuitable in locations like White Moss near Grasmere and Chapel Stile in Langdale.

Andy Astle, from Grasmere, said having pitches close to busy areas was contrary to guidelines.

"There is room for the pop-up site, but not in this location," he said. Dropping a 30-pitch campsite into White Moss at the height of the season is going to destroy this unspoilt beauty and it's going to ruin one of the area's major tourist attractions."

Last year's temporary change in legislation allows land to be used for any purpose for 56 days without an application for planning permission. Some people living in the National Park said it meant campsites were being set up without the usual controls or opportunities to object.

Andrea Meanwell, from the Lake District National Park Authority (LDNPA), said large numbers of people had been "fly camping" last year because there was not enough capacity at established campsites.

"One night, seven cars were found driving very slowly round lanes, packed full of people," Ms Meanwell said. They had come from Birmingham without a booking and were "driving around looking for a flat field".
Enter the morons ……

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 01:28 PM

Re: Lake District: Pop-up campsites 'will destroy' areas

The lake District is there for us all to enjoy. Visitors bring money.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 01:30 PM

Yep, it's a blooming mess. It's the same up here. You hardly saw a soul along the top coast's beaches n coves, But that NC 500 has opened up all the lovely wee places we used to hold sacred. No one minds sharing BUT we do mind the mess left behind and the destruction. Our wee single track roads were not made for the kind of traffic they get now in the summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-53713593
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yep, it's a blooming mess. It's the same up here. You hardly saw a soul along the top coast's beaches n coves, But that NC 500 has open up all the lovely wee places we used to hold sacred. No one minds sharing BUT we do mind the mess left behind and the destruction.
Like my parents used to say: "Some people are brought up; some people are dragged up!"
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The lake District is there for us all to enjoy. Visitors bring money.
It's not worth the money. Get more park rangers out there now and establish limits and require reservations or you will lose something precious.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Like my parents used to say: "Some people are brought up; some people are dragged up!"
My father drilled it into my brother and I that we should NEVER EVER leave anything more than our footprints behind when we've been out in the countryside. I certainly followed that all my life, so much so, I've even been known to pick up after others when I've been fishing somewhere.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
My father drilled it into my brother and I that we should NEVER EVER leave anything more than our footprints behind when we've been out in the countryside. I certainly followed that all my life, so much so, I've even been known to pick up after others when I've been fishing somewhere.
You are a good man, PV. I usually end my run with my hands full of beach trash.

To the mantra "Leave nothing but footprints," I am trying to get people to add, "Take one last look," for the beauty you are leaving and the possibility that you left something behind.

We are learning here on our beaches that a surprising amount of litter is accidental.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
You are a good man, PV. I usually end my run with my hands full of beach trash.

To the mantra "Leave nothing but footprints," I am trying to get people to add, "Take one last look," for the beauty you are leaving and the possibility that you left something behind.

We are learning here on our beaches that a surprising amount of litter is accidental.
You'd be surprised just how much comes in on the tide, SM.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 05:11 PM

And from where.

Just a little way up the coast from here is a concern regarding lumps of palm oil washing up onto the beach, because it's making dogs quite poorly.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

06-03-2021, 05:13 PM

Don't I know it! We have oil platforms off the horizon that are known for dumping. When you find empty 4 liter jugs of cooking oil, you know it's not day visitors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top