Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 05:13 PM

Chitting potatoes

Having just planted potatoes being asked whether they were "chitted" first is a bit late in the day, but has anyone done this and is it necessary to ensure a less leggy plant?

First time I've heard of putting spuds in egg cartons first.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 05:36 PM

Re: Chitting potatoes

Chitting just means allowing the eyes to sprout before planting to give them a head start once planted. Some swear by it some but don't think it necessary as they will do it when they are ready once in the ground anyway. Personally I am of the latter persuasion, as the seed spuds will please themselves and to me, the state of the earth and the weather is more important than whether the spuds have sprouted or not.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 05:46 PM

Thanks Barry that's a relief! How does one avoid "leggy" plants? Is that where shoring up becomes crucial or is it about lopping the tops off?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 05:47 PM

I chitted some Pink fir apple potatoes before planting in a large tub ten days ago, still waiting for any signs of shoots.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 05:59 PM

My potatoes are still in their netting in the shed, waiting for me to plant. I have to get some more containers, as last year’s were a failure. They were more like pebbles. I just don’t have the room in the raised beds, so bags or pots it has to be.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 07:15 PM

I haven't planted potatoes this year, I usually plant a very early variety like Arran Pilot and get them off to a good start with chitting then removing all but one of the sprouts.
They usually do very well but I am switching things round in the beds this year so don't have enough room.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-04-2021, 12:02 AM

The bagged potatoes last year were a dismal failure. Only the raised beds worked out. The choice this year is charlotte potatoes for a change. But too late to chit them now. I hadn't heard of removing all but one sprout Meg. It's such a learning curve with spuds!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2021, 08:15 AM

I’ve never claimed to be an expert veg or fruit grower in my years at the allotment. Everything has been trial and error. If it grew, fine, if it didn’t, then fine again.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2021, 08:31 AM

It's a fact that you have to be quite philosophical about gardening. You win some, you lose some, and as most of it is in the hands of the gods rather than yours, a shrug of the shoulders at the failures is all that you can do really.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2021, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The bagged potatoes last year were a dismal failure. Only the raised beds worked out. The choice this year is charlotte potatoes for a change. But too late to chit them now. I hadn't heard of removing all but one sprout Meg. It's such a learning curve with spuds!
Annie I just leave the strongest shoot...
Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I’ve never claimed to be an expert veg or fruit grower in my years at the allotment. Everything has been trial and error. If it grew, fine, if it didn’t, then fine again.
Me to Jazzi a lot of family members are fantastic gardeners they have had years to practice but I am a late starter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top