Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
RJG
Senior Member
RJG is offline
UK
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 277
RJG is female 
 
19-04-2021, 11:50 AM
1

Flattery will get you nowhere

If I ask for someone's opinion I expect them to tell me the truth even if I am not going to like what they have to say. If a person asks for my opinion about what they are wearing, for instance, I will always be truthful, even if it isn't what they wish to hear.

Thank goodness I can always rely on my husband and children telling me the truth about me, whether or not I ask for their opinion.

Are other posters truthful when asked for their opinion ?
Reply With Quote
Tachyon's Avatar
Tachyon
Senior Member
Tachyon is online now
Internet Citizen :)
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,722
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-04-2021, 12:01 PM
2

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by RJG ->
If I ask for someone's opinion I expect them to tell me the truth even if I am not going to like what they have to say.
You think people you don't know are psychic and know what you expect to hear?
Reply With Quote
RJG
Senior Member
RJG is offline
UK
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 277
RJG is female 
 
19-04-2021, 12:19 PM
3

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
You think people you don't know are psychic and know what you expect to hear?
I am talking about people I know.
Reply With Quote
Pixie Knuckles's Avatar
Pixie Knuckles
Senior Member
Pixie Knuckles is online now
Scotland, UK
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 3,545
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-04-2021, 12:29 PM
4

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

I seem to be quite good at telling the truth. There are ways to say things without being harsh or offending anyone....but I can be as blunt as anything if its warranted.
Reply With Quote
Pixie Knuckles's Avatar
Pixie Knuckles
Senior Member
Pixie Knuckles is online now
Scotland, UK
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 3,545
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-04-2021, 12:53 PM
5

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I couldn't care less. What people have to say on forums is of no matter to me at all, they aren't my reality.
Well, since you have returned from being here previously...it seems to me (at least) that you think this forum is pretty important to you in some small way. Personally I think its lovely when members come back and are welcomed - feels like a wee community.
Reply With Quote
RJG
Senior Member
RJG is offline
UK
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 277
RJG is female 
 
19-04-2021, 01:45 PM
6

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Well, since you have returned from being here previously...it seems to me (at least) that you think this forum is pretty important to you in some small way. Personally I think its lovely when members come back and are welcomed - feels like a wee community.
I don't feel like that about forums, to me they are a displacement activity when I have a few moments to spare. Unless you have actually met people in real life you can't know what they are really like at all. In the past I have met in person some members of forums on which I used to post, with one exception they were nothing like the way they portrayed themselves on the Internet.
Reply With Quote
Mups's Avatar
Mups
Chatterbox
Mups is offline
Northamptonshire
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 45,299
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-04-2021, 02:02 PM
7

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I don't feel like that about forums, to me they are a displacement activity when I have a few moments to spare. Unless you have actually met people in real life you can't know what they are really like at all. In the past I have met in person some members of forums on which I used to post, with one exception they were nothing like the way they portrayed themselves on the Internet.



And were you how you'd being portraying yourself?

As for us being merely 'a displacement activity when you have a few moments to spare,' I can only assume you have a lot of free 'moments to spare.'
Reply With Quote
RJG
Senior Member
RJG is offline
UK
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 277
RJG is female 
 
19-04-2021, 02:05 PM
8

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by Mups ->
And were you how you'd being portraying yourself?

As for us being merely 'a displacement activity when you have a few moments to spare,' I can only assume you have a lot of free 'moments to spare.'
Yes, but I don't expect anyone to believe that to be true unless they have actually met me.
Reply With Quote
Tiffany's Avatar
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Tiffany is offline
Devon
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 13,738
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-04-2021, 02:10 PM
9

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I don't feel like that about forums, to me they are a displacement activity when I have a few moments to spare. Unless you have actually met people in real life you can't know what they are really like at all. In the past I have met in person some members of forums on which I used to post, with one exception they were nothing like the way they portrayed themselves on the Internet.
I hope people from forums I have met think I am exactly as I seem & I have met a few. I thought they were the same. I also have pen pals & I have met a few of those also. They were all lovely people.

I would always try to be truthful to anyone asking my opinion on anything, but sometimes you need to be tactful about it.
Reply With Quote
Silver Tabby's Avatar
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
Silver Tabby is online now
God's own county!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 23,743
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-04-2021, 02:15 PM
10

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by Mups ->
And were you how you'd being portraying yourself?

As for us being merely 'a displacement activity when you have a few moments to spare,' I can only assume you have a lot of free 'moments to spare.'
LOL! Haven't we heard that one before, Mups, many times!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.