New Member!
Brisbane, Australia
vivi1014 is female 

16-06-2021, 02:37 AM

Australian Magpies

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 04:55 AM

Re: Australian Magpies

What brilliant videos, vivi1014, thank you for sharing them - and welcome to the Forum.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 08:41 AM

Bloody Magpies are the bain of my life. There's a family of five of them living close to us and they are never out of my garden ripping the lawns to bits. We totally re-turfed a full lawn last summer and it needs to be done again. I loathe the wee scunners.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 10:46 AM

Good pictures, Vivi.

I've got some nesting in the trees behind my garden, and they pop in and out to me bird tables all day long.
I must say they haven't touched my grass though (so far), but perhaps because the dogs would probably chase them off if they started.

There are some big old crows nesting in the next tree, too.
You want to hear the racket when the Red Kites fly too close.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 10:56 AM

Hi and welcome

I am following a couple from your town on youtube Kate Martineau and Slaiman Akl who recently moved more into the city centre( if you know them say hi from me) . In one of their videos they mentioned how vicious those magpies can get.They say that even cyclists have spikes in their helmets to stop the attacks.
We have them here in the UK as well and same here they will have a go at any other birds.
One other thing It is nice to see another member doing videos so keep them coming we don't have other members really interested in making them

Our UK version of the Magpie (seem to have a shorter beak)

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 11:01 AM

I don't think Australian Magpies are related to European Magpies, the Australian ones are a type of Butcher bird (so I am told).

To me the Magpie together with the Kookaburra and the Cicada are the sounds of Australia (Parrots, lorikeets etc just squawk and scream)
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 11:06 AM

I have no idea Bruce but I think they must be closely related. same markings and same viciousness. Nice to see the comparison though alive and moving to get a better idea
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 12:23 PM

Many years ago, when I used to watch Australian soaps, I'd here that sound in the background & wonder what bird made it, later I did find out, their song is much prettier than our Magpies. Ours are raucous & bullies.
Lovely video's, Vivi. Thanks for posting them.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 12:51 PM

My favourite bird. I love their sound and they are incredibly smart. But yes they sure can be aggressive. And they are spooky the way they decide they like some people and not others.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Bloody Magpies are the bain of my life. There's a family of five of them living close to us
How do you know they're not just friends?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top