Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:40 PM

Re: Crisis in the Elderly!

Residential care of the elderly is in private hands and private hands means profits and profit means neglect in quite a few homes. In some cases carers are not properly trained and paid minimum wage and in some instances less. In some homes the elderly suffer abuse neglect and ridicule.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think you've also got a good valid pont there Tpin.

My poor old Mum was the most stubborn person I've ever met.
It was a tremendous worry for me trying to get her to accept help. When I finally managed to get extra help organised, I would go over to see her only to find she'd cancelled eveyone again!!
I loved her dearly, but the worry wore me to a frazzle.
Oh yes, they're a worry and stubborn is an understatement.

As for retirement homes(not care homes) you should look into running one.....the costs are horrendous.

A pal owned one up until 4 years ago and we discussed the costs after I ribbed him over the fees.

His was a smallish business but still he had 30 full time staff + p/t
Not a lot when you consider there are 3 shifts per day.
This cost £30k per week(£1.5m per year)
Business rates were £40k per year.
Insurance alone was £15k
Electric/gas was over £100k per year
Maintenance bills exceeding £50k per year.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:47 PM

I know too little about Britain's aged care policies to comment on its effectiveness.
Sounds pretty grim though and Australia's position is probably not much better.
Governments tend to budget mainly with the next election in mind - not for the needs decades down the track.
Aus has introduced compulsory employer-subsidized superannuation though (ages ago) so that people needing care now often have a nest-egg squirreled away to at least augment pensions or other income.

However, just a quick 'stray' if I may ?
Originally Posted by Azure ->
... they would rather throw good money after bad, and give it away to World Aid, where much is squandered.....
If developed countries just hand over a bunch of cash with no supervision or control that would be crazy.
Might have happened in the past but these days (at least with Australian aid) the recipient country - or its leaders - rarely see any money.
OK, you need a dam - we'll build you a dam - but we'll supply the materials, employ a mix of local and Aus labour and we will totally manage the project.
Same with schools, hospitals, bridges, roads, food, sewerage - whatever.
Everything independently audited - not much opportunity for 'squander'.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I know too little about Britain's aged care policies to comment on its effectiveness.
Sounds pretty grim though and Australia's position is probably not much better.
Governments tend to budget mainly with the next election in mind - not for the needs decades down the track.
Aus has introduced compulsory employer-subsidized superannuation though (ages ago) so that people needing care now often have a nest-egg squirreled away to at least augment pensions or other income.

However, just a quick 'stray' if I may ?
If developed countries just hand over a bunch of cash with no supervision or control that would be crazy.
Might have happened in the past but these days (at least with Australian aid) the recipient country - or its leaders - rarely see any money.
OK, you need a dam - we'll build you a dam - but we'll supply the materials, employ a mix of local and Aus labour and totally manage the project.
Same with schools, hospitals, bridges, roads, food, sewerage - whatever.
Agree 100%

Gone are the days of governments squandering aid on champagne parties.

its the private/charity aid that doesnt get through or evenly distribute d (black market)
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 12:02 AM

Yep, non-government 'charitable' aid is harder to track.
But if legislation is enacted that says
"if you want to attract donations by making them tax-deductible, you must submit to certain governance and audit requirements - even snap inspections".
Sorts out most of the wheat from the chaff.

If people choose to support charities (usually religious) which do not comply - be it on their own heads if the god-botherers buy a new Mercedes every two years and trip around the globe First Class.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 12:10 AM

Stopping the billions in wasted international aid and directing into services in this country that are in need might be the answer.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

15-12-2016, 12:22 AM

Like sending aid to a country with a space program?

I'd agree with you on that score.
Pumicestone
Australia

15-12-2016, 12:23 AM

I doubt if Britain "wastes" much aid money these days.
As I said, funds are now generally much better managed and controlled than in the past.
But if you have evidence ........ ?

Even so, millions of children starving to death ever year or dying from easily preventable diseases must surely bother most humans ?
Few developed countries contribute more than 1% or 2% of GDP.
And even then, there are often trade or defence strings-attached.
Pumicestone
Australia

15-12-2016, 12:28 AM

My fault - but we have strayed from "Crisis in the Elderly", have we not ?

I will start a 'Foreign Aid' thread.
(A Global Moderator might even see fit to move the last few posts ?)
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 01:37 PM

Some homes aren't even fit for elderly people to live in. They get abused & treated apallingly in some. One fairly local to me was closed not long ago because finally the PTB investigated the complaints.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...l-bbc-panorama

I know all are not bad, but even so, I hope I never get so frail that I need to go in one.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top