Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 08:15 PM

Thins

I discovered these about 6 months ago and just love them to bits.
They are only 18.5 calories per "thin" as opposed to 2 slices of bread which you need to make a sandwich, which works out at34.00 calories.
I only need one as I find that it sufficient, with a nice filling of salad plus chicken/cheese
I like the brown best of all.
Try them, they are good.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 08:35 PM

Re: Thins

If you mean Warburton's Thins (other brands are available ) .. I like them too ... white and Brown

For quick cheese "toastie" I butter them, add a cheddar cheese slice, and pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds .... mmmmmmmm
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 08:53 PM

Something I had never thought of Mytle, what a good idea.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 11:31 PM

Oooh yes, yummy. I like the Ryvita thins - cheese and cracked black pepper.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
as opposed to 2 slices of bread which you need to make a sandwich . . .

I only need one as I find that it sufficient
How are you making a "sandwich" using just one thin?

And why can't you do the same with one slice of bread? Your argument here makes no sense.

Counting calories isn't nearly as important as looking at what the ingredients actually are and thus what you are eating imo. In fact I honestly think counting calories is hugely flawed. How do you know how many calories to ingest at what times of the day ??

Warburtons Thins - White

Wheat Flour [with Calcium, Iron, Niacin (B3) and Thiamin (B1)], Water, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed, Sustainable Palm), Yeast, Dextrose, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum; Emulsifiers: E471, E481; Gelling Agent: E466; Soya Flour, Preservative: Calcium Propionate (added to inhibit mould growth); Flavouring, Flour Treatment Agents: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C ), E920 (Vegetarian).

Not sure I would want those ingredients in bold to be honest.

Good honest bread requires only flour, water, yeast and salt. Nothing more. I'm staggered that you prefer to reach for a "thin" with all that crap in it for the sake of counting calories vs an honest slice of bread.

There's close to 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in each of those thins.

The "Brown" version of the thins is pretty similar

Wheat Flour [with Calcium, Iron, Niacin (B3) and Thiamin (B1)] and Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Water, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed, Sustainable Palm), Wheat Gluten, Dextrose, Salt, Yeast, Barley Malt Flour, Sugar, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum; Emulsifiers: E471, E481; Gelling Agent: E466; Caramelised Sugar, Soya Flour, Preservative: Calcium Propionate (added to inhibit mould growth); Flour Treatment Agents: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C ), E920 (Vegetarian).

A little more fibre but again I can't help but feel what you are eating there is more stuff for preserving the food than actual food itself.

Ryvita thins are something quite different

Just basic ingredients:

Wheat Flour, Mixed Seeds (24%) (Hemp Seed, Brown Linseed, Golden Linseed, Millet Seed), Wholegrain Rye Flour (10%), Palm Oil, Salt

but then they are little more than a cracker. Not in any sense a substitute for bread.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 12:08 AM

Realist, I think you will find Apricot meant she only needs 1 x 'sandwich' of thins, not 1 thin itself.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 12:27 AM

Oh I see
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

03-03-2017, 09:31 AM

What I do is split the thin and then fill with chosen ingredients , thanks Mups.
Smile x
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

03-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Plus Realist ,one slice of bread just makes an open faced sandwich , if you get my meaning.
La, la.
smile
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Something I had never thought of Mytle, what a good idea.

Another suggestion - try St: Agur (blue) cheese on Carr's cheese melts and top it with a piece of honeydew melon - the combination is fabulous!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top