Join for free
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Colonelgrim
England
Colonelgrim is male 

08-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Re: The Irish Border Problem

So thats agreed then...

Southern Ireland will put up and man a hard boarder.

The Garda will protect the border from nationalists.

Job done!
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Colonelgrim ->
... what, apart from the uk billions!
Here we have it again. An uneducated soundbite, unresearched and without any context. Ireland did receive billions from the UK during the financial crisis and that has since been paid back in full! Sweden got a similar arrangement during the 1980s. Britain itself was bailed out by the IMF during the 1970s. Currently Britain has one of the highest debt rates in the world. The money was offered to Ireland at a time when the entire Western World was on its back and gratefully received. Read my lips: It has since been paid back in full! But I doubt that will make any difference to your outlook. And I doubt it's only Ireland you only a problem with. I suspect we're part of a very long list and, even with a perfect Brexit, will just continue to grow longer.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 12:57 PM

Hi

The fact remains Mountaintop that the UK is being held to Ransom by your Government, in particular your PM, Leo, who is shouting off at every possible opportunity.

He is threatening our financial viability and a vetoing a Trade Deal unless he gets what he wants.

His choice, not ours.

There will be a price to pay for this, that is how things work, that is the reality of life.
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The fact remains Mountaintop that the UK is being held to Ransom by your Government, in particular your PM, Leo, who is shouting off at every possible opportunity.

He is threatening our financial viability and a vetoing a Trade Deal unless he gets what he wants.

His choice, not ours.

There will be a price to pay for this, that is how things work, that is the reality of life.
There is absolutely no substance in your argument. It's not even an argument, it's just aggressive mumbo jumbo. I don't even know how to respond to it. So I won't.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rathlin ->
I think if you check you will find that the people of Northern Ireland had a referendum on 8/3/1973 at the height of the IRAs campaign to remove the border. Despite serious intimadation they voted to keep the border.
I knew nothing of that referendum, it wasn't obviously well publicised this side of the Irish Sea, but given the passage of time subsequently, is it not reasonable to ask the Northern Irish population whether, in order to resolve the 'border issue' once and for all, whether they would like re-unification with Eire.
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath

08-12-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I knew nothing of that referendum, it wasn't obviously well publicised this side of the Irish Sea, but given the passage of time subsequently, is it not reasonable to ask the Northern Irish population whether, in order to resolve the 'border issue' once and for all, whether they would like re-unification with Eire.
Just for the record, Irish nationalists boycotted that 1973 referendum, which was called a border pole at the time. I am Irish but I don't see Ireland being reunified anytime soon. And that's fine with me. Division is something that takes place in the mind, unfortunately, something which is clearly evident on this thread. All the people of Northern Ireland, whether Nationalist or Unionist, are British. Some may have dual citizenship, but they are all British. Britain is a democracy and guarantees equal rights to all its citizens. So whether Northern Ireland is British or Irish doesn't matter to me or most Irish people. So when people complain about Northern Ireland and the Nationalists here, they are talking about their own people, their own country, not mine!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
There is absolutely no substance in your argument. It's not even an argument, it's just aggressive mumbo jumbo. I don't even know how to respond to it. So I won't.
Hi

Really?

Do you deny that Leo has threatened to use his Veto to stop talks progressing to a Trade Deal?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
Just for the record, Irish nationalists boycotted that 1973 referendum, which was called a border pole at the time. I am Irish but I don't see Ireland being reunified anytime soon. And that's fine with me. Division is something that takes place in the mind, unfortunately, something which is clearly evident on this thread. All the people of Northern Ireland, whether Nationalist or Unionist, are British. Some may have dual citizenship, but they are all British. Britain is a democracy and guarantees equal rights to all its citizens. So whether Northern Ireland is British or Irish doesn't matter to me or most Irish people. So when people complain about Northern Ireland and the Nationalists here, they are talking about their own people, their own country, not mine!

Eire is an imperfect nation, because it lacks the six counties on its northern border!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dU8mGjrjJk
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 02:13 PM

A rediculous statement .
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath

08-12-2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Really?

Do you deny that Leo has threatened to use his Veto to stop talks progressing to a Trade Deal?
Yes. He did. And why wouldn't he? He is acting in the best interests of the Irish Republic. The British would do the same if the roles were reversed. That is politics. Oh, I get it, you're annoyed that we didn't do what you wanted. That's politics, not personal. The tone of your post is anger that someone is doing something that is in their best interests, not yours. Most people would call that healthy politics, but you say how dare us and there will be a price to pay.
So I stand by my comment, there is no substance to your comment.

Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top