Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Re: Joint Pain

I do agree with what Aitch says about walking being a very beneficial thing and letting your dog be your guide.
It is what I do. Because of ankylosing spondylitis, mornings are awkward. I wake with lower back pain because the lower bones in my spine have degnerated and are fusing Also because of the AS and a degree of idiopathic scoliosis, the nerves in my spine get squeezed which makes my legs go numb and tingle (the right leg in particular). However, going out every day for a decent walk with my dog helps enormously. At the beginning I need to go through a sort of pain barrier when starting off, but once I have walked about 20 minutes things get better and I can keep active for the rest of the day. Inactivity makes things worse for me - when I sit for too long I seize up, so I keep on with the walking.
Oh dear, now I have written this down I sound like an old crock - (sorry) its not as bad as it sounds. I just wanted to confirm that I think there is nothing better than walking on a regular basis.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2011, 03:35 PM

I have to completely agree with you Aerolor, I am the same in the mornings, I no longer have a dog, but I ride to places where I can then walk around, and the first 15/20 mins is rough, then once you have passed the pain barrier it gets easier
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2011, 05:52 PM

My sister as just been to visit and has given me two of her wrist supports that she has and some cream. She sees a consultant as she has osteoarthritus. Her thumbs and wrists are quite bad, her tendons or ligaments are affected and it has pulled her thumbs into her palms. Her finger joints are quite swollen were she has fluid on them too. She left hers too long before getting help so Im not going to make the same mistake. Im going to try to get in on emergency at the doctor tomorrow and hope its my doctor otherwise I will have to wait 5 weeks.

(previously known as doglover.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top