Join for free
Page 23 of 27 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:31 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If there's any real critic on these pages, it's you!
You criticise everyone about anything, and not usually very politely.
Still having comprehension problems?
I criticise those with unfounded and irrational opinions, in as polite a manner as the comments directed towards me (indeed usually far more politely that such comments deserve) but that is the purpose of a discussion forum.
If I am so impolite it's strange that you keep coming back for more of the same?
In fact you have quite a history of my asking you if you're just "poking a bear".
Does that make you a masochist?

Is there any chance that - from now onwards - you can post content relevant to the thread and not just make personal attacks on another contributor?
Ta muchly.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 12:33 PM

I believe we can do both, Annie, without destroying our countryside.

The main thing is to avoid buying from the EU for the reasons I have stated many times.
Not just the EU but the rest of the world when it's things we can produce ourselves.

Lamb is a great example: we buy in New Zealand lamb and export most of our own, and that's plain daft.
No wonder a lamb chop is pricier than a sirloin steak!
Zaphod
Lincs UK

26-01-2021, 12:35 PM

And the treacherous May.
What I think people don't understand is that there wasn't really any viable alternative.
If it hadn't been Boris, who would it have been because there was (and still is) bu@@er-all choice of truly capable candidates? ? ?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Not just the EU but the rest of the world when it's things we can produce ourselves.

Lamb is a great example: we buy in New Zealand lamb and export most of our own, and that's plain daft.
No wonder a lamb chop is pricier than a sirloin steak!
Yes it is daft Zaphod! But the reason that happens is that British
producers of lamb and other meat products have got used to
getting the EU tariff protected prices for their products!!
There fore they can no longer compete on world markets ??
That way consumers get cheaper world priced meat and our
meat producers get inflated prices via EU tariff protections !!
The whole tariff set up is simply a way to beat market forces !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
What I think people don't understand is that there wasn't really any viable alternative.
If it hadn't been Boris, who would it have been because there was (and still is) bu@@er-all choice of truly capable candidates? ? ?
Well l thought Farage was an option?
But once again, he faded at the last minute !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Zaphod
Lincs UK

26-01-2021, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes it is daft Zaphod! But the reason that happens is that British
producers of lamb and other meat products have got used to
getting the EU tariff protected prices for their products!!
There fore they can no longer compete on world markets ??
That way consumers get cheaper world priced meat and our
meat producers get inflated prices via EU tariff protections !!
The whole tariff set up is simply a way to beat market forces !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
I read that the UK was 109% self-sufficient in lamb in 2019.
Why can't we use our own and let the EU import the tasteless crap that we're palmed off with?
Surely if there really are problems exporting it that's the answer right there, staring pproducers in the face?

The same for the ruddy shellfish, as I have said before: I live on the coast and yet I can not buy a fresh British crab or lobster today.
Not for love nor money.

So if it rebalances things so that British people can buy British food AND it is more carbon-friendly by it not travelling unnecessarily I'm all for it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

26-01-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Well l thought Farage was an option?
But once again, he faded at the last minute !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
It's an interesting one but fraught with potential problems, because neither he nor any of the MP's that would have to have been the result of him getting in to power have any experience.
We already see grumbles that the current lot don't have much experience.
But I bet we wouldn't have been bored!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:14 PM

Annie's assertion about swathes of UK farm land being covered by poly-tunnels is horse droppings. If you really want to see swathes of poly-tunnels go to Spain where you'll find 100s of thousands of hectares of land under them growing stuff like absolutely tasteless tomatoes and salad stuff for the UK market.

As for the low cost of NZ lamb, the NZ government stopped all subsidies on sheep farming several years ago and told the farmers they had to sink or swim. Many got out but those that stayed with sheep made a great success of it. (Saw this on a Country File special a couple of years ago.) The cost problem here is that even the larger flocks are relatively small in comparison to NZ so costs are consequently that much higher. In any case, it's not the farmers that are making the real money, it's the meat processors and supermarkets.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

26-01-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Annie's assertion about swathes of UK farm land being covered by poly-tunnels is horse droppings. If you really want to see swathes of poly-tunnels go to Spain where you'll find 100s of thousands of hectares of land under them growing stuff like absolutely tasteless tomatoes and salad stuff for the UK market.

As for the low cost of NZ lamb, the NZ government stopped all subsidies on sheep farming several years ago and told the farmers they had to sink or swim. Many got out but those that stayed with sheep made a great success of it. (Saw this on a Country File special a couple of years ago.) The cost problem here is that even the larger flocks are relatively small in comparison to NZ so costs are consequently that much higher. In any case, it's not the farmers that are making the real money, it's the meat processors and supermarkets.

Primarily the supermarkets - but that's a debate for another part of the forums.

I don't believe that NZ costs are much lower than ours.
Hills is hills & nothing else much can live on them (except for the haggis north of the border ) - and the Kiwis herd their sheep using helicopters which are a darned sight more to buy & run than a quad and a few dogs!

I vaguely remember the Countryfile show, but the EU has caused this quandry with their CAP. They've done the same with British dairy farming and other things besides (like sugar beet).
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->

There is a good documentary on BBC iPlayer about the Spanish poly tunnels and how much of it ends up in the sea. It's quite an eye opener - check out "The Mediterranean" with Simon Reeve

Page 23 of 27 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top