Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Let sleeping Dogs Lie.

Is it best to bite the bullet, and let sleeping dogs lie. or is it best to be vocal, and say what you are feeling, at the risk of prodding a Hornets nest. Does age dictate how vocal an individual is, and is it wise to voice one's inner most thoughts, and risk upsetting the equilibrium.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Re: Let sleeping Dogs Lie.

It's not always possible to let sleeping dogs lie. In general it depends on the circumstances.
Age is no barrier to having a vocal opinion, it all depends on how it is voiced, as with any one else.

It is not always wise to voice ones innermost thoughts. Once those words have been said, they can never be unsaid.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 11:06 PM

I think it very much depends on what the situation is. For example, if you see somebody burglarising a neighbour's home, would you stay quiet then for the sake of not getting involved, or would you phone for the Police?

That's a very wide question and there's no yes or no answer.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 11:28 PM

I agree Mollie. It is a very wide question indeed.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 05:01 AM

I generally work on the principal of "why upset people unnecessarily" but sometimes things have to be said.It needs sensitivity and good judgement.
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 09:04 AM

but if you let sleeping dogs lie you end up being a door mat and walked all over...
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

19-07-2012, 10:44 AM

In certain circumstances its best to let sleeping dogs lie, and in others it would be more beneficial to speak out. It very much depends on the situation in my opinion. So as someone already said, there is no straight answer yes or no to the question.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Is it best to bite the bullet, and let sleeping dogs lie. or is it best to be vocal, and say what you are feeling, at the risk of prodding a Hornets nest. Does age dictate how vocal an individual is, and is it wise to voice one's inner most thoughts, and risk upsetting the equilibrium.
As others have said, I also think it depends on what it is and how important something may be to someone. Sometimes people have to stand their ground and voice what they are thinking if it matters a lot to them (but not necessarily by disclosing innermost thoughts and feelings - unless a person feels safe in doing so).
I don't think it kind or necessary to deliberately try to upset people and as we get older most of us learn to tailor what we say and do to maintain the equilibrium, to not upset people and keep communication going.
Speaking metaphorically, I think I usually prod around the hornet's nest a little bit, but will be prepared to use the insect spray and retreat to safer ground if the hornets come out in force to get you.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

19-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Choose your battles..............
TWHRider
South Eastern U.S.
TWHRider is female  TWHRider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 04:23 PM

Where's the "like" button?

I agree there are right times and wrong times to speak up - everything's a judgement call.

Regarding crime, I'm speaking up. If I hadn't spoke to our state highway patrol friend about the nekkid antics of the only neighbor I have within spittin' distance, nobody would've found out he's a 3X convicted sex offender

This will be his fourth indecent exposure conviction. These are the kind of people that eventually end up on "48 Hours ID" with blood, duct tape, rope and knife in their trunk of their car

The only rental house on this road, it has to butt up to my barn yard, and there has to be an "I love to expose myself to you" male living in it. Before he got arrested, I told Mr. TWHR I was no longer mowing that side yard; either he could mow it or the grass could grow to the roof tops.

We are completely perimeter fenced in, have a locked driveway gate but I still got in the habit of carrying my pistol to the barn because I didn't want to be caught off guard by that Loser.

There was no "sleeping dog" in this instance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top