Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 04:27 PM

Don't PUt Your Clocks Back?

A thrifty couple will not be putting their clocks back this weekend - because it saves money on their energy bills.

Retired John and Janys Warren, from St Georges near Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, live 'in the future' an hour ahead of everybody else and save a third on their gas and electricity bills.

The couple stopped putting their clocks back five years ago when they realised the darker and shorter days were triggering John's headaches.

Living on British Summer Time all year round meant his headache's eased, they could enjoy an extra hour of daylight and save money.

Janys, 69, said: "We have lower fuel bills and far more usable daylight hours with evenings not seeming endless.

"We don't put the heating on until we get up and by then it is warmer anyway. We've saved about one third on our heating and lighting bills.

The decision was made when John, a retired general manager of a refurbishment company, started to suffer severe headaches - sometimes up to eight a day. Experts believe changes in the body's biological clock can trigger neurological pain.

John said: "I was receiving palliative care and being given morphine in hospital to reduce the pain.

"Then Janys heard someone who suffered from the same thing went to Australia, did not change his clocks, and did not have an episode.

"We decided not to change our clocks and it worked for me as well. It has eased my headaches - but more than that, we just found that being an hour ahead worked for us."

On a typical day, the couple who have six grandchildren get up at 8.30am 'their time' - 7.30am in 'our' time - and go to bed at 11pm, which is 10pm for the rest of the UK.

John said: "It just a far more pleasant way to live through the winter. You get far more daylight and you don't get endless dark evenings.

As a result of their clock change, the combined gas and electricity bill for their three-bed semi-detached home is just £900 a year.

I don't understand how it lowers the bills if you are up an hour later than you would have been?

Anyone tempted to give this a try?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/couple-who-...4.html#sV2sI2R
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Re: Don't PUt Your Clocks Back?

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
A thrifty couple will not be putting their clocks back this weekend - because it saves money on their energy bills.

Retired John and Janys Warren, from St Georges near Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, live 'in the future' an hour ahead of everybody else and save a third on their gas and electricity bills.

The couple stopped putting their clocks back five years ago when they realised the darker and shorter days were triggering John's headaches.

Living on British Summer Time all year round meant his headache's eased, they could enjoy an extra hour of daylight and save money.

Janys, 69, said: "We have lower fuel bills and far more usable daylight hours with evenings not seeming endless.

"We don't put the heating on until we get up and by then it is warmer anyway. We've saved about one third on our heating and lighting bills.

The decision was made when John, a retired general manager of a refurbishment company, started to suffer severe headaches - sometimes up to eight a day. Experts believe changes in the body's biological clock can trigger neurological pain.

John said: "I was receiving palliative care and being given morphine in hospital to reduce the pain.

"Then Janys heard someone who suffered from the same thing went to Australia, did not change his clocks, and did not have an episode.

"We decided not to change our clocks and it worked for me as well. It has eased my headaches - but more than that, we just found that being an hour ahead worked for us."

On a typical day, the couple who have six grandchildren get up at 8.30am 'their time' - 7.30am in 'our' time - and go to bed at 11pm, which is 10pm for the rest of the UK.

John said: "It just a far more pleasant way to live through the winter. You get far more daylight and you don't get endless dark evenings.

As a result of their clock change, the combined gas and electricity bill for their three-bed semi-detached home is just £900 a year.

I don't understand how it lowers the bills if you are up an hour later than you would have been?

Anyone tempted to give this a try?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/couple-who-...4.html#sV2sI2R
Our combined Gas & Electricity is £845 per annum for a 3-bed, semi-detached house and that's calculated on our new Fixed tariff which begins on November 22nd!

Why would I even bother to work out the maths?!! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 04:47 PM

No !! I wont be trying this - I'm confused enough as it is !!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Our combined Gas & Electricity is £845 per annum for a 3-bed, semi-detached house and that's calculated on our new Fixed tariff which begins on November 22nd!

Why would I even bother to work out the maths?!! stevmk2
Crikey - who do you get your dual fuel from! My typical
gas bill in the winter is between £500 and over £700 every two months (mind you, that was LPG, maybe this new fangled gas supply might be cheaper (but I doubt it somehow)).

I just didn't get the logic of the article given they stay up an hour later.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Thats wierd as one of my neighbours says he does not change his clocks either and says he now gets more work done and also saves on his bills ...I thought it was a mis-understanding in my french but maybe he is on to some thing. But saying that since leaving work I now raise when its light and go to bed when its dark and im paying less on my bills even through im home alday not sure how that is happening, i assumed it was because we have no oil here
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 05:55 PM

If I could just get my daughter to move out...........
Nobaggage
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
If I could just get my daughter to move out...........
Or you could just buy here a wheel connect it to the grid and make her run round and round..... or hide her hair strightners
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Run?.......no chance! You're spot on with the hair straighteners! I remember ironing mine.......better hide that too!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 06:08 PM

I leave one clock in the kitchen at the 'old time' so I can get used to the 'new time' gradually .

Dogs and babies tummies get used to eating at a regular time as does mine so I stagger the new time and adjust meal times by half an hour at a time
Nobaggage

25-10-2013, 06:11 PM

put her hair straightners just out of reach on the wheel ....simples ;0)

I have always fed my dogs at different times as it stops them becoming demanding at the right time when your busy doing some thing ...I swear dogs i have had in the past could tell the time .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top