Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 10:58 PM

Re: Viewing a deceased relative

that's a positive way to look at it CC!
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
that's a positive way to look at it CC!
Yes, thanks Honey.
LadyB
New Member!
Middle Tennessee
LadyB is female 

10-07-2014, 02:09 AM

Hi, I am new to the board and this is my first post. I lost my mother 6/12, almost a month ago to a long battle with ovarian cancer. My mother had a great sense of humor and would make jokes to me and my sister asking what would we do if we found her dead. My sister laughingly said she would sit out side and wait for the funeral home to pick up the body. I said I didn't know how I would respond but hoped it would never happen. Well, the day before she passed I was contacted by Hospice and told she had hours to live. I took the next flight out and arrived approx. 6 hours before my mother passed. It was nothing like I expected. She looked terrible when I first saw her. Her eyes had a fixed stare and her breathing patterns changed. I will spare you all the details only to say after she passed like another poster said, she had a smile and appeared to have been at peace. Only me and my son were present. He had never experienced anyone anything like this before but like me was GRATEFUL to have been there and was able to say my final goodbye's to her. What a precious gift that was given to us on that day. Having said the death of a loved one is traumatic and like you, the experience plays over again and again in my mind usually at bed time. I can tell you that I will get better and in time you wont have the memories of your loved one in a dead state that will come to mind when you think of them. These unfavorable memories are temporary and will pass in time as any other traumatic experience will.

Thanks for allowing me to share.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 12:54 PM

I think it's down very much to the individual
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 01:09 PM

Normally in my family, we didn't ''view'' the deceased..

Then having moved to the South of France..it was virtually frowned upon if you didn't do so..

One thing that I did was remember that this person was once alive..loved..laughed..cried..Just the same as I do now..
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 03:27 PM

It's not for everyone but it was right for me, I'm glad I seen mum in the funeral home, no more pain etched in her face, she looked serene and finally at peace, it helped me a lot as I didn't want the memories of her in agony to be the last thought of her, now I have good memories and the pain of losing her is lessening slowly
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 03:30 PM

I'm glad Honey..why all the fright??
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

12-07-2014, 03:32 PM

I don't know why some are scared of the dead, it's the living you should be concerned about!
lilac
West yorks uk

12-07-2014, 03:36 PM

My mother always said that..

Another thing I have always wondered about..Why is it that when you are dead..you suddenly become scary/evil?
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
My mother always said that..

Another thing I have always wondered about..Why is it that when you are dead..you suddenly become scary/evil?
I think that being dead.. reminds others that someday THEY will be dead.. I believe it's subconscious, but I think seeing death reminds people of their own mortality.. and that scares the crap out of folks.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top