Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 12:03 PM

Re: You ate WHAT??

I've eaten our coat of arms, Emu and Kangaroo; the latter I buy regularly from the supermarket because I like the taste , it has no fat and needs to be medium rare otherwise it can be a bit tough if overcooked. I tried a croc burger in Queensland it was OK but can't say what it was really like because the sauce and rest of the ingredients masked the taste.

Years ago when I was working out in the bush we shot a fox and cooked it... revolting smell while cooking and absolutely inedible, disgusting taste. Razerbacks taste nice, well pork aren't they, but the black skin takes a bit of getting used to, naturally I am very fond of deer but don't get it as much as I used to since my son in law moved to Canberra.

I've tried snake, dog, water buffalo, shark fin and some very odd animals over the years, wasn't keen on dog (but nicer than fox), snake was OK and water buffalo was really just like beef however I couldn't bring myself to eat fried cockroaches in Cambodia.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 12:36 PM

Westerners have a revultion about eating Dog.. or cat that people in the East do not have. Meat is meat I suppose, but I don't think I could get a bite of Rover down. lol!!

BUGS??!! Never..
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Kangaroo is nice - a devil to catch but nice to eat
I've eaten Bear, Water buffalo, crocodile, horse and a few other things - all OK.
I tried real (allegedly) turtle soup once - that was a bit disgusting.
Be careful what kinds of animals you eat that especially are considered delicacies. Many are tortured first to make them stress out therefore turning the meat more tender

For example bear in China are kept in cages, poked at torturing them first!
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 01:01 PM

I have had Ostrich in SA which was lovely, Kangaroo and Camel in Oz which were both a bit tough. The most horrible thing was in a famous restaurant in Beijing. When I realised the huge hard bits were beak and feet, I nearly freaked. Presidents and famous people may have eaten there, but that memory haunts me still.
JoAnn
ohio united states
JoAnn is female  JoAnn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 03:05 PM

I know mupps..it is gross to think about. Lol
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JoAnn ->
I know mupps..it is gross to think about. Lol
Is Duck Blood soup worse than Kiszka.. or blood sausage? It's made of Pork blood.. and barley.. and spices.. I've had that and it wasn't too horrible.
JoAnn
ohio united states
JoAnn is female  JoAnn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 03:35 PM

Well...I never had the blood sausage but the soup I mentioned was not bad at all. But it definitly had a distinct flavor like nothing else I can really compare it to .maybe the sausage has that same distinct taste. I guess its just the thought of what it actually is that we find repulsive.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 05:01 PM

A work colleague loves her brussel sprouts dipped in salad cream
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Is Duck Blood soup worse than Kiszka.. or blood sausage? It's made of Pork blood.. and barley.. and spices.. I've had that and it wasn't too horrible.
One of our 'delicacies' over this side of the 'pond' Audrey is 'Black pudding' - made from the blood of pigs. Its fried and usually served as a breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns, soda bread and potato bread - absolutely delicious!!!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 05:30 PM

UJ I love black pudding with a cooked breakfast . Delicious.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top