Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 12:37 PM

Re: What's in it for me ?

Trouble is with the poor people some seem to think they are shirkers and lazy when often they work as had if not harder than richer people. I am often amazed at that attitude too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Trouble is with the poor people some seem to think they are shirkers and lazy when often they work as had if not harder than richer people. I am often amazed at that attitude too.
Julie I wouldn't class people who are poor and work as 'shirkers' I would give that title to those who can work and won't work.

I see no shame in being poor or taking a low paid job. There is dignity in working and doing a job well and not expecting others to provide for you. I speak as someone who has probably been 'poorer' than most on here having left home with just a small suitcase and nothing more to work for a pittance. I have never been unable to get a job of some kind when I need it.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Julie I wouldn't class people who are poor and work as 'shirkers' I would give that title to those who can work and won't work.

I see no shame in being poor or taking a low paid job. There is dignity in working and doing a job well and not expecting others to provide for you. I speak as someone who has probably been 'poorer' than most on here having left home with just a small suitcase and nothing more to work for a pittance. I have never been unable to get a job of some kind when I need it.
I agree with your statement here Meg but many of those who claim benefit are on an "in work" benefit. They have to claim because they do not have enough to live even by the low amount considered adequate by this government. To me, that means that some employers are not paying a living wage and the taxpayer is subsidising the employer by topping up the workers wages with benefit. And then blaming the poor person who is working their socks off for sod all and being called a scrounger to boot!

To those who think that they are propping up pensioners I would like to remind them that some of us have worked very hard all our lives and had managed to save a small amount and had expected that the interest on those savings might give us some leeway. In the event, interest payments are rock bottom allowing for people with mortgages, be they first homes or buy to let, the benefit of low interest rates at the expense of our expected income.

As for what's in it for me, didn't that ethos come in with Thatcher and the I'm all right Jacks ? It's certainly not something I subscribe to I'm glad to say.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
I agree with your statement here Meg but many of those who claim benefit are on an "in work" benefit. They have to claim because they do not have enough to live even by the low amount considered adequate by this government. To me, that means that some employers are not paying a living wage and the taxpayer is subsidising the employer by topping up the workers wages with benefit. And then blaming the poor person who is working their socks off for sod all and being called a scrounger to boot!

To those who think that they are propping up pensioners I would like to remind them that some of us have worked very hard all our lives and had managed to save a small amount and had expected that the interest on those savings might give us some leeway. In the event, interest payments are rock bottom allowing for people with mortgages, be they first homes or buy to let, the benefit of low interest rates at the expense of our expected income.

As for what's in it for me, didn't that ethos come in with Thatcher and the I'm all right Jacks ? It's certainly not something I subscribe to I'm glad to say.

That's about the size of it - it was all me me me from then on .................
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 04:15 PM

In bold ..Yes I would agree with that Anzac .
I do think though that many people who claim to be poor don't know what real poverty is, to me it is not 'I haven't got what that person has got so I must be poor, it is being cold and hungry and owning nothing. I have been in that situation so think I am in a position to comment. I am not saying people should be reduced to that situation to qualify as poor it is just an observation

I do have concerns about benefits like working tax credits which subsidise businesses who should be paying better wages but I suppose that benefit suits various governments because it means some companies are able to employ more people while retaining profit margins and at the same time lowering the unemployment figures.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 06:58 PM

Thankfully there are still millions of people in the world who don’t care what’s in it for them, just look at all the volunteers and genuine charity workers about today, the day we all become a complete “What’s in in it for me” society will be a sorry one indeed. What happened to “We’re all in it together”?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 07:00 PM

Cheered me up Jem 'cos you're absolutely right - bless 'em all
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
In bold ..Yes I would agree with that Anzac .
I do think though that many people who claim to be poor don't know what real poverty is, to me it is not 'I haven't got what that person has got so I must be poor, it is being cold and hungry and owning nothing. I have been in that situation so think I am in a position to comment. I am not saying people should be reduced to that situation to qualify as poor it is just an observation

I do have concerns about benefits like working tax credits which subsidise businesses who should be paying better wages but I suppose that benefit suits various governments because it means some companies are able to employ more people while retaining profit margins and at the same time lowering the unemployment figures.

To the first bit of bold.....me too! Not for long but I'll never forget it! I'm sure you've read and heard of Jack Munroe. She told it as it is for many in modern Britain. Being cold and having barely having enough money to feed herself and her son. For her the situation was temporary, many are not so lucky.

To the second section: You may well be right about it suiting governments to have people on benefits but at least they should have the guts to say so, then the people who are working but having to claim would not have to feel shame and inadequacy. Frank Field has uncovered a whole raft of big corporation fast food and coffee outlets that don't pay a decent wage to their workers and avoid paying tax in this country as well so it's a double whammy for the British tax payer! But the government won't do anything about it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

01-06-2015, 07:39 PM

[/B]

To the first bit of bold.....me too! Not for long but I'll never forget it! I'm sure you've read and heard of Jack Munroe. She told it as it is for many in modern Britain. Being cold and having barely having enough money to feed herself and her son. For her the situation was temporary, many are not so lucky.

To the second section: You may well be right about it suiting governments to have people on benefits but at least they should have the guts to say so, then the people who are working but having to claim would not have to feel shame and inadequacy. Frank Field has uncovered a whole raft of big corporation fast food and coffee outlets that don't pay a decent wage to their workers and avoid paying tax in this country as well so it's a double whammy for the British tax payer! But the government won't do anything about it.
Yes I have heard of Jack Munroe who showed initiative rather than sitting on her behind doing nothing .I also know about the anomalies uncovered by Frank Field.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 06:47 PM

It annoys me when others say that those who have sufficient money should be denied 'perks' such as bus passes, winter fuel allowance etc.. People who have earned more have contributed more, yet some people say that they should simply be happy to get nothing in return.

I am not suggesting that they should get more than anyone else, but I've no problem with those who say, "I've paid my dues, now what's in it for me?".

I'll happily take every penny that I can.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top