Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 09:05 AM

Re: British Soldiers Could Face War Crimes In Iraq

Anyone else remember this???:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

And this from a so-called sophisticated, civilised society
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
So ....
if a bunch of Yanks round up a few hundred civilians, largely women and children, search them all thoroughly, ensure they are completely unarmed, defenceless and terrrified,
then herd them under a bridge and machine-gun the lot .....

that's OK as long as they hide it for a few decades ?

Oh, war is hell, nobody should pay.
Now I get it.
Never heard of that before.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I can't help thinking The Humanitarian Way To Fight War Training Manual ... leaves out the gory stuff, like

War is atrocious.
Essentially, training men to become killers is atrocious.
ISIS cannot somehow be more 'noble or acceptable' purely because they publicly broadcast brutal executions, can they?
War generally occurs when diplomacy and the rules of civilisation have broken down .. to then introduce rules to hopefully ensure war is fought in a civilised way is about as barmy as the probable reason for the war.
I take back all I've said about you Morticia.....well, most of it.....
Seriously though, in the absence of a 'well' said button, Bloody good post!

Another one from HTB, Like it....
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I take back all I've said about you Morticia.....well, most of it.....
Seriously though, in the absence of a 'well' said button, Bloody good post!

Another one from HTB, Like it....
Agree, good post. If all sides played by the "rule book" things would be just hunky dory wouldn´t they?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:18 PM

I don't know if it's changed but a lot of the training Jordan has done is in saving lives humanitarian options where possible. Of course he is trained to fight but it's not first response to each situation.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Agree, good post. If all sides played by the "rule book" things would be just hunky dory wouldn´t they?
Absolutely Clumsy, surely it's because somebody disagrees with the rules that war breaks out in the first place.

If ISIS don't play by the rules we will bring our planes home and find a war where they do play by the rules!

If ISIS did play by the rules and stopped chopping peoples heads off and destroying historical buildings (or modern ones with people still in them for that matter) there wouldn't be a problem, would there?

Or could it be that someone wants us to believe it's ISIS that's responsible for some other reason? I can't think why anyone would want to de-stabilise the Middle East; can you?
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Politician's are asking men go to war with one hand tied behind their back,"you can do this, but not that".They are just asking for more Deaths and Injuries by limiting a soldier's actions.Get rid of the Camera's,quit filming and posting every damn thing and get on with it.You think Attila the Hun gave Quarter,hell no,If I was there, and 5 minutes ago, you were shooting at me trying to kill me,and you got wounded,Too Bad So Sad, but you are one DEAD S.O.B. J.M.O.
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:42 PM

We hung SS for shooting British wounded at the end of WW2 Double standards ??
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:54 PM

Hi

The rules of war so to speak were written in a different age, when armies fought armies and the military wore uniforms.

Things are very different now, the enemy has a tendency not to wear uniforms and the bloke firing at you could easily have been the one selling fruit in the market that same morning.

They also have an annoying habit of blowing themselves up, even if wounded, which makes things even more difficult.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't know if it's changed but a lot of the training Jordan has done is in saving lives humanitarian options where possible. Of course he is trained to fight but it's not first response to each situation.
I take it he hasn't done a tour of duty yet? His priorities might change once he does and someone aims a gun at him in an unfriendly fashion..

My nephew joined up age 18 .. after six months was sent to Iraq. He was just 19. He's clocked up two tours in Iraq and one in Helmand since.

It's not all doom and gloom .. I can still remember him asking his Auntie Morty to only send Minstrels in his parcels, not block chocolate as everything melted in Iraq.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top