Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:21 PM

Re: Can we put friends in boxes?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
OG, So you have nothing to say how good she is to give up her time and be good enough to use her petrol to drive you to see your mother.
I hate to say it but you are ungrateful!
I'd say OG is principled. I have had friendships end over a matter of principle so I think I understand the question. It boils down to which is more important to you - the friendship or the principle?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Linden Tree ->
Could you not say to her that you strongly disagree with her stance, and for the sake of your friendship would rather that she didn't air her views in your company. A bit friendlier than putting her in a box

I think I'd probably just 'switch off' and let her ramble.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:30 PM

That is what I tend to do with the bunch of racists that I work with.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I have a very dear friend who is funny,helpful and sometimes takes me to see my mother. She is very nice. Now here comes the but..................she also thinks all muslims are terrorists and mosques should be closed. I say nothing and think-no point in arguing with someone who has had listened to too much rubbish,
Maybe you should say something OG. If you don't she won't have any idea of how you are thinking. If you get to discussing (not arguing) then you both will be able to understand each other better. It may be you agree to disagree and can maintain the friendship you both have with each other. At the very least she will likely be more careful what she says in your company. I think this is something which needs airing between the two of you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:36 PM

We are all different and no one can advise you really OG
I would walk away from the friendship as I would not share those views
Others may be more tolerant
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Ok-how can I reconcile remaining a friend of someone who holds views that I find dreadful?. I know, it`s cognative dissonance
I would have to say "they may be your views but not mine ",
We carn't judge every Muslim by the actions of a few .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:51 PM

Some of you seem to be making a big deal about the lady's views. Why can't she have those views? Right or wrong, she is entitled to her views. If we all walked away from people who we didn't like because of their views, then we would end up very lonely people!
I normally let people ramble on... Why would I want to lose their friendship? After all, they might think my views are a load of tosh but just put up with them!
I think OG should stop being so precious and value the lady's friendship and good nature.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Some of you seem to be making a big deal about the lady's views. Why can't she have those views? Right or wrong, she is entitled to her views. If we all walked away from people who we didn't like because of their views, then we would end up very lonely people!
I normally let people ramble on... Why would I want to lose their friendship? After all, they might think my views are a load of tosh but just put up with them!
I think OG should stop being so precious and value the lady's friendship and good nature.
Art, you've put it much better than I could have! I agree whole heartedly with your post. Who are we to tell someone they cannot have a voice or opinion, or view? The last person to tell me to be quiet died nearly 11 years ago and I called him Dad.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 07:36 PM

You make a fair point - I think OG will be tolerant of her views
For me it gets testy when someone goes on and on, not respecting that I don't share the view
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Linden Tree ->
Could you not say to her that you strongly disagree with her stance, and for the sake of your friendship would rather that she didn't air her views in your company. A bit friendlier than putting her in a box
That's called an ultimatum. Hardly the thing one does to good friends.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top