Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 08:11 PM

Re: Can we put friends in boxes?

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I have a very dear friend who is funny,helpful and sometimes takes me to see my mother. She is very nice. Now here comes the but..................she also thinks all muslims are terrorists and mosques should be closed. I say nothing and think-no point in arguing with someone who has had listened to too much rubbish,
Well done.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 08:48 PM

If you don't agree with her views surely that's ok... just ensure she knows your views differ and leave it at that. It maybe that she thinks you hold similar views...ensure she knows you don't. We are all entitled to our opinions.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 09:26 PM

But in my defence I do pay for the diesel and buy her lunch. And she enjoys the day out as she lives on her own.
And somewhat more important she is entitled to her opinion, we still have freedom of speech in this country don't we

Try to steer the conversation away from subjects that you know the two of you will not agree on.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 06:51 AM

That's a good answer - just change the subject
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 07:39 AM

I think we're all entitled to our opinions and views so it doesnt usually matter to me what my friends views are within reason,if theyre very strongly held and unpleasant then it might make me question our friendship if we kept clashing about things...but we are all individuals and they may not like some of my views either so it works both ways
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 07:46 AM

I have a very dear friend who is funny,helpful and sometimes takes me to see my mother. She is very nice. Now here comes the but..................she also thinks all muslims are terrorists and mosques should be closed. I say nothing and think-no point in arguing with someone who has had listened to too much rubbish,
Besides its her car I presume.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I think we're all entitled to our opinions and views so it doesnt usually matter to me what my friends views are within reason,if theyre very strongly held and unpleasant then it might make me question our friendship if we kept clashing about things...but we are all individuals and they may not like some of my views either so it works both ways
That's reasonable isn't it
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 10:30 AM

Do people really "drop" their friends just because they have different views to their own? Surely itīs better to make it clear you have a different opinion on whatever the subject is and say you are not going to discuss it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 11:28 AM

If you're willing to drop a "friend" because of differing opinions then maybe you're just a mate not a friend.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Do people really "drop" their friends just because they have different views to their own? Surely itīs better to make it clear you have a different opinion on whatever the subject is and say you are not going to discuss it.
I don't think anybody has said that, clumsy. Friendships thrive on the exchange of different views. But whereas different views are welcome, I sometimes have found it hard to maintain a friendship where there are strongly held PRINCIPLES that differ. On one occasion a former friend and I discussed our differences and subsequently drifted apart because I felt uncomfortable with some of her values, which clashed strongly with one of my principles.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top