Join for free
Page 23 of 26 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:16 AM

Re: Windows 10

Well it happened. I was upgraded last night...and that hasn't happened in years!..Everything seems as normal as anything ever is these days. It took 90 mins last night and the house is still standing this morning. Hang on a minute..what's that loud ticking........
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 07:13 PM

I downloaded from 8.1 to W10 when it was first offered. I dont have a prob with it, other than the default for storing your pics/downloads automatically goes into ONE DRIVE, which I dont like, they have just "shortened" the saving space so when it runs out you have to subscribe.
I have to move my pics ect. to MY PC which is a bit of a pain.
My friend has been trying to download W10 on her W7 today and its just keeps going round in circles and going no where.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Purdy ->
I downloaded from 8.1 to W10 when it was first offered. I dont have a prob with it, other than the default for storing your pics/downloads automatically goes into ONE DRIVE, which I dont like, they have just "shortened" the saving space so when it runs out you have to subscribe.
I have to move my pics ect. to MY PC which is a bit of a pain.
My friend has been trying to download W10 on her W7 today and its just keeps going round in circles and going no where.
I have OneDrive and also Dropbox, both of which I use for short-term backups of changed files until I have time to do a proper backup. When I save pictures on my computer, they go to my C:/Pictures folder as they always have done on earlier computers. Perhaps you have a strange set-up. I'm sure the default save location can be changed.
Also, my version of OneDrive has no time limit and was free to download.

Your friend is likely to be waiting for some time to upgrade to W10 as by all accounts it can take ages! Patience is a virtue.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 07:57 PM

my photos.pics etc use to automatically go in My Pictures(C/pictures) but changed when I got W10.
My friend has been getting the "go ahead" for W10 for a fortnight now, she decided to take plunge last night at designated time of 6:00 pm, the pc went through the "motions" black screen/ stopping/restarting, and then nothing changed!. it came up again this morning and the same thing happened.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:06 PM

my photos.pics etc use to automatically go in My Pictures(C/pictures) but changed when I got W10.
Well change it back! There are plenty of help files to explain how to do this.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/h...ons-windows-10

My friend has been getting the "go ahead" for W10 for a fortnight now, she decided to take plunge last night at designated time of 6:00 pm, the pc went through the "motions" black screen/ stopping/restarting, and then nothing changed!. it came up again this morning and the same thing happened.
I'm afraid I don't know what the problem is, as I have never upgraded from W7 to W10; my new computer had W10 pre-installed. You could contact Microsoft.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:47 PM

As JBR says, the upgrade can take a very long time. The advice is not to turn the computer off but how long to wait before deciding if the process has really hung is difficult to know. The upgrade possibly taking 24 hours is mentioned in the article linked to below:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-upgrade-hangs
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK

27-04-2016, 07:54 AM

Thank you JBR for the info I have looked at the link.
and on checking the page it suggests all boxes are "ticked" for the correct places! the info also states that when you change to W10 that all the original storage places are kept. Not so I'm afraid with mine. nothing to do with you of course!
I'll just keep moving them from ONE DRIVE LOL.
As to the amount of time for a download, that rings a bell with mine, all three of us have the same machines, bought at the same time, my hubbies took just 20 minutes to download, my sons 30 minutes and mine took 5 hours!!!!
Technology is wonderful isn't it LOL.
My friend had her machine on from 6:00pm till 11:00pm, perhaps she ought to have kept it on longer? I will see what she says.
thank you all for your help, and taking the time to reply.
P.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 11:02 AM

23 pages of thread about Windows 10 and I still haven't read a single post from anyone explaining what specific functionality they are wanting from Windows 10 that justifies doing the upgrade!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-04-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
23 pages of thread about Windows 10 and I still haven't read a single post from anyone explaining what specific functionality they are wanting from Windows 10 that justifies doing the upgrade!
Too true.

Mind you, mine boots up in less than 30 seconds, whereas my W7 machine takes several minutes. To me that's a big advantage.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Too true.

Mind you, mine boots up in less than 30 seconds, whereas my W7 machine takes several minutes. To me that's a big advantage.
I never noticed TBH. I never shut down my laptop, I always hibernate. It's never given me any issues and means it wakes up instantly as soon as I lift the cover up each morning.

Page 23 of 26 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top