No, the Royal Family are an asset to the country 23 63.89%
Neither for or against. 3 8.33%
I have never met them, so I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 01:33 AM

Re: The argument for and against a republic.

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
If the British monarch is also the head of the C of E,
wouldn't it be fun if Charlie or Willy converted to Islam ?
oops sorry Pummie I thought what you said was "charlie and his willy!!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 02:13 AM

Comes from simply scanning my pearls of wisdom willy-nilly, mate.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 08:27 AM

the existence of Kings and Queens are seen as throwbacks to another age. And despite her personal wealth, I understand that the British Monarch gets a small 'annual salary' in comparison.

A question that can be asked is "would UK be a less interesting, colorful place without the monarchy. Would indeed the Commonwealth and its nations be less so too?

I see the British Monarchy as a larger than life "Internationally running Serial" - something like "Dallas" but much much bigger and brighter. It brings entertainment to our lives; fills the tourist coffers too and continues to offer us all an historic picture of what life was once like in UK but without the pain and injustices of those days.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
the existence of Kings and Queens are seen as throwbacks to another age. And despite her personal wealth, I understand that the British Monarch gets a small 'annual salary' in comparison.

A question that can be asked is "would UK be a less interesting, colorful place without the monarchy. Would indeed the Commonwealth and its nations be less so too?

I see the British Monarchy as a larger than life "Internationally running Serial" - something like "Dallas" but much much bigger and brighter. It brings entertainment to our lives; fills the tourist coffers too and continues to offer us all an historic picture of what life was once like in UK but without the pain and injustices of those days.
There is a lot of truth in you post gumbud, so you will get no argument from me.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 08:34 AM

I dont think the RF fills the tourist coffers.
Tourists come to see the historic places and pageantry changing of the guards etc not to take tea with the Queen.
Its unlikely that most tourists will ever see the RF.
France fare exceeds us in tourism for the same reasons and they have no
royals.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Interesting stuff, Rehab.
All the theoretical powers which everyone knows will never be exercised. Quaint.

It is true that the Queen's representative, the Governor General, sacked the elected Australian government in 1975.
But it is questionable whether the Queen even knew about it at the time.
And it was a constitutional crisis in which the government of the day could not guarantee 'supply' - they did not have the numbers in both houses of parliament to pass money-bills like paying public servants or defence or whatever.

And the GG is appointed by the PM who can sack him so it's a bit of a race to see who sacks whom first.
But it caused such a furore that it will never happen again.
It would make an Australian republic a certainty.
I am impressed, no sarcasm and no abuse, you are normal after all.
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 01:19 PM

They don't entertain me.
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 01:26 PM

when will you monachists stop harking on about your beloved Royals - they are all usurpers to the throne as demonstrated by Tony Robinsons documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG4Ec9nEwwk

the true King of England died as a dinky di aussie several years ago in a small rural town, but his son lives on.

http://www.abroadintheyard.com/real-...itish-history/

All your royalty are usurpers and foreigners tabout - German no less! so stop bowing down to them and curtsying we the aussie will rule you from now on - starting with the excellent netball result!!
I wouldn't curtsey anyway.

I also don't see where Britain is a democracy. Everyone living in Britain is referred to as the monarch's 'subjects'. To be subject, as I understand it, is to be subservient. In a genuine democracy, nobody would be subservient to anyone else.

I refuse to be referred to as a subject. Nobody is superior to me.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I am impressed, no sarcasm and no abuse, you are normal after all.
My God ! I hope not. I hate 'normal'.

However, 'sarcasm or abuse' are only ever in response to extreme provocation
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by CailinRua ->
I wouldn't curtsey anyway.

I also don't see where Britain is a democracy. Everyone living in Britain is referred to as the monarch's 'subjects'. To be subject, as I understand it, is to be subservient. In a genuine democracy, nobody would be subservient to anyone else.

Rest easy Cailin
There is no requirement to curtsey to the Queen .
But some people like to be subservient .
Didnt Mrs Whiplash make a fortune out of this?

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top