No, the Royal Family are an asset to the country 23 63.89%
Neither for or against. 3 8.33%
I have never met them, so I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 01:21 AM

Re: The argument for and against a republic.

Originally Posted by CailinRua ->
I also don't see where Britain is a democracy. Everyone living in Britain is referred to as the monarch's 'subjects'. To be subject, as I understand it, is to be subservient. In a genuine democracy, nobody would be subservient to anyone else.
To be an true democracy you need an elected government, Britain is half way there but until the upper house is elected cannot claim to be a true democracy.

As I said before this is a far more important issue than whether some watery tart threw a sword at you.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
To be an true democracy you need an elected government, Britain is half way there but until the upper house is elected cannot claim to be a true democracy.

As I said before this is a far more important issue than whether some watery tart threw a sword at you.
OK Bruce.

First a statement of FACT.

The HOL can only ask the HOC to relook at a bill presented to them...the HOC will and if needed amend certain points of that Bill.The Bill is then presented to the HOL again and again it can be sent back to the HOC....

If the HOC present that 3rd amended bill again the HOL have no say and it passes into law.

That is TRUE democracy.

The HOL have no power to stop the elected Reps of the UK passing its there to just say "Hang on think a moment"

Question.

Is this a better system???

Such as in American where nothing gets done between an elected Congress and an elected Senate.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by CailinRua ->
I wouldn't curtsey anyway.

I also don't see where Britain is a democracy. Everyone living in Britain is referred to as the monarch's 'subjects'. To be subject, as I understand it, is to be subservient. In a genuine democracy, nobody would be subservient to anyone else.

I refuse to be referred to as a subject. Nobody is superior to me.
Quite so, but we need to concede, some have superior bodies.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
OK Bruce.

First a statement of FACT.

The HOL can only ask the HOC to relook at a bill presented to them...the HOC will and if needed amend certain points of that Bill.The Bill is then presented to the HOL again and again it can be sent back to the HOC....

If the HOC present that 3rd amended bill again the HOL have no say and it passes into law.

That is TRUE democracy.

The HOL have no power to stop the elected Reps of the UK passing its there to just say "Hang on think a moment"

Question.

Is this a better system???

Such as in American where nothing gets done between an elected Congress and an elected Senate.
Strange definition of true democracy? the fact that the Lords is part of government and is not elected stops Britain being able to call itself democratic. Get rid of them have a proper elected upper house which can review bills and suggest amendments to curb the excesses of the lower house.

In Australia bills can originate in the upper house or the lower house, the upper house is the state's house (ie each state no matter the population has the same number of members - elected by a quota (PR) system) the original idea was to prevent the bigger states bullying the smaller states. It is the house of review, the majority in the lower house rarely controls the upper house so negotiation and compromise are necessary. it works very well.

Why you mention the USA I have no idea, completely different type of government, not a parliamentary system at all. There are plenty of Parliamentary democracies in the world with elected upper and lower houses why on earth would you quote the USA?
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Quite so, but we need to concede, some have superior bodies.
Some are better looking or better at some things than others, but that doesn't make them superior. Although my avatar's body is gorgeous like the rest of him!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Doesn't everyone say that, ,envy of world' without any proof to substantiate the claim?
Maybe that's what we would like to think.
Anyone have any stats on what the young think of the monarchy? Pensioners are quite fond of them it seems based on the above posts.
No stats but two kids that like the RF and so do a lot of their friends.

I think the young Royals have made the Monarchy cool.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 01:43 PM

Princess Beatrice only had 15 holidays last year and her sister Eugenie only had 8 It's shocking how deprived they are, but the youth of Britain can look up to them because they are a role models and show the young what they can achieve if your daddy is rich and the son of a Queen
I wish I was so cool.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 01:47 PM

You aren't though.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 02:13 PM

I would have though that that was pretty obvious, if I was I would be on holiday.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2016, 02:16 PM

I meant cool

Page 6 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top