Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 01:00 PM

Re: Right To Buy ?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
How can that be true when in the EU thread it was stated that the monthly wage in Britain was higher than that in Germany?
They haven't filled the country with Germans we are competing for jobs with Polish, Romanians etc
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What never has really been explained is, just say the council already owns a parcel of land, and on that land, the build cost of a house for rent (from the Council) is say 40K, and the rent is say £500 per month, the capital outlay would be recouped in 80 months (six and a half years) then apart from periodic maintenance which should be minimal with modern building materials, it's profit all the way, why are Councils so reluctant to build?
As you say it's never explained.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 01:22 PM

May I put another view into this please . I know of a 70 year old who lives in a housing association house . She has three bedrooms, family bathroom and second toilet . She is on pension credit so does not pay rent , all repairs are done free, inside and out . She has been asked to vacate the property on numerous occasions so a large family could move in , she refuses saying it's her home and she is staying . Now I own my home , I have to pay for all repairs inside and out , boiler services , etc etc and if one day I can't afford to keep this up I will have no choice but to move I to a tiny flat ,or even find my own care package by selling .

My point is this , how many pensioners are living in large three bed housing association homes and could well move into smaller homes. I would .

I also don't agree with right to buy , also someone tell me why should tennents buy at a cheaper price just because they have lived there for a number of years ?

No one gave me any discounts or benefits when I took out a mortgage years ago and paid highly for it in interest .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-04-2015, 01:39 PM

I can see the point you are making and in my head it sounds very reasonable but in my heart I see an elderly person with her support structures around her being asked to leave her memory filled home and go somewhere she doesn't know. It's not something I feel happy judging mainly because I believe everyone should have security and be allowed to stay in their homes as long as they wish.

Also a private tenant could be on benefit have all their rent paid and be in a similar position to the social housing tenant, it's a benefit of being a tenant, owning a home comes with more responsibilities and different benefits.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 03:20 PM

I wouldn't want to see anyone forced out their home. No matter what circumstances. It's a hellish position to be in. Take it from me. Yes, maybe some elderly are in large houses, but they probably brought their family up in them. Their home is familiar to them. I'm sorry, but familiarity means a lot to some people.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Our local authority have given planning permission for two huge housing estates on the outskirts of Kettering. If all towns do likewise there should be enough houses for everyone.
I think they are Alan, around Malvern they are building 800 new homes from a total of 28,370 in South Worcestershire alone. I understand other counties have similar development plans.

They are even proposing to build on greenbelt land in an AONB spoiling it forever. There are plenty of brown field sites on the edges of towns available without resorting to this . The people living in the new developments are going to have to work somewhere so already highly congested roads will become worse.
To get into Worcester or the other commuter towns from here you need to cross the river, to do this there are just two bridges and they are a nightmare to cross already.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 03:40 PM

Sounds like a nightmare to me Meg, if we'd have kept the original housing, would have been a help with all this ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-04-2015, 03:54 PM

I have a feeling if council stock had not been sold off we might not need any new homes, certainly not on the scale we do. Local council estate about 3/4 were sold and a high percentage of them the people got into difficulties and lost their homes within a few years, and then were back into council accommodation again.

In this time of high housing costs I would like to know how many housing association tenants could possibly afford even the reduce prices of their homes ? if they can afford them perhaps they should be looking elsewhere to live and freeing up these properties for people who can't. No pressure to move but just a thought if as I say they are able to afford these houses.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 05:04 PM

If a person lives in a council house, it does not effect anyone else waiting for accomodation. You have a case of 'dead man's shoes' where you have to wait for a sitting tennant to leave or die before that house becomes vacant.
Given that many people will want to stay where they are, owning their house makes little difference to the vacant housing stock.
Let people buy their house if they want at market value, but give the council or HA first refusal on buying it back at market value if it comes on the market.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 06:39 PM

I brought the right to buy on a one bedroom I rent out now , it's not a council flat but london corporation, there's 90 flats in all on this estate , over 70 has been brought on the right to buy , I paid £30,000 in the late 90s, it's now worth £350, 000 , the 3 bedroom house on the estate my mate brought his for aprox £20,000 in the early 80s , it worth now £800,000

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top