Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Re: Its a privilege to have children not a right

Originally Posted by Nom ->
But how many of us were prepared to understand what it was to be parent, by the time you find out the baby has arrived.
Well I did, I was 20 when my first child was born.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 02:39 PM

Hi

Rights bring responsibilities.

Have as many children as you like, but you pay for them, it is not up to others to do so.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
To be honest, what I said was from what I was told by people I dealt with in British Embassies in South American countries a few years ago when I worked for the FCO up to 2008.

If that is wrong I stand corrected, but these people were "on the ground" in Buenos Aires, Sucre, Brasília, Santiago, Bogotá, Quito, Georgetown, Asunción, Lima, Montevideo and so on. stevmk2

Well I used to live in South America in the seventies and while there were some large families it was not from religious conviction more from habit and tradition.
once again it was usually the case in poorer social groups.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Back in the 50's Catholics did produce more children than other religions. Every Catholic couple in our neighbourhood had far more children that the protestants and were proud of the fact. Of course over the decades the Roman Catholic Church lost a number of worshippers, probably because of the stories and bad press that criticized the church...... but mainly because people stopped believing. There are some who still believe and attend church regularly but I suspect that the church's frown on contraceptives is now ignored... because the church can't know what goes on in the privacy of the worshipper's home.
The battle with the Muslims will be a much more difficult and take longer.
The real problem now is people who think a baby will bring joy, but never consider how that bundle of joy will be provided for.
I went to catholic schools in the and none of my friends came from large families .Most were two or three .
I came from a family of three myself .
My grandmother only had two children as did my uncle all were devote Catholics .
Maybe they didn't have much sex?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 05:58 PM

Not a privilege or a right, having children should be a carefully calculated decision

I don't mind how many children people have as long as they have the means to support them and don't expect someone else to do it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I went to catholic schools in the and none of my friends came from large families .Most were two or three .
My grandmother only had two children as did my uncle all were devote Catholics .
Well I can't speak for your grandparents Muddy, but maybe they stuck to the allowed method of contraception and were lucky or they were experts at tiddleywinks.
All I know is the families I was talking about had an average of 5 children, but in those days they were all provided for... which is more than we can say for many these days.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Lol - I'm also from Catholic family and there were four of us, all girls, most of my friends had 2 or 3 in their families but NONE relied on the state to feed and clothe them.

I had 2, one of sisters also had 2, the others don't have any..
Anna B
Norfolk
Anna B is female  Anna B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->

Catholics believe it is a duty to produce offspring in order to provide continuance of the faith.
Utter rubbish in Britain. I understand most Roman Catholics here do not believe that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top