Join for free
Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Pie Man
W.Yorkshire
Pie Man is male  Pie Man has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 05:40 PM

Re: Favourite Pie?

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Andy matey, I can pronounce that the the pies I ordered and had delivered are deliciously fabulous!!! - good solid chunks of meat with a tasty sauce and the pastry is really light and flaky. I would thoroughly recommend them should you wish to avail yourself of placing an order yourself.
Sorry I'm a bit late replying Joe, not been online for a few days. I'm glad you liked them at that price. Though they do say you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a bit ore for a decent pie than a cheapo that's bulked out with god knows what.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pie Man ->
Sorry I'm a bit late replying Joe, not been online for a few days. I'm glad you liked them at that price. Though they do say you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a bit ore for a decent pie than a cheapo that's bulked out with god knows what.

Todays pie - steak & mature cheddar!!! - will make some mash (sweet potato & swede to go with it)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 02:31 PM

Steak & mature cheddar pie - FABULOUS!!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
My personal favourite is a roast beef and ale pie. Whenever we have roast beef for Sunday dinner, I always make sure that the joint is much too big so that I have loads left for Pie Monday. I fry off onions, celery, diced carrots and mushrooms and put them into the slow cooker. Then cut the cold roast beef into chunks and add them. Finally add beef stock and half a pint of a good dark ale. Leave it in the slow cooker for a few hours to tenderise and take on the ale flavour. Blind bake the bottom of the pie (must be very short, short pastry). The add some gravy thickening to the meat. Once it has thickened, strain the meat with a sieve and add it to the pie dish -spoon on a few tablespoons of the gravy to keep the meat moist, put on the pastry lid and cook till the pastry is browned and wonderfully crumbly. Keep the remaining beef and ale gravy to pour over the meal. I prefer it with new potatoes and french beans. MMMMMMM!
This sounds absolutely delicious!!! I must remember to try it, cept I never buy joints of beef, just for myself.
Amber63
United Kingdom West sussex
Amber63 is female 

15-04-2017, 12:02 PM

I do like a good Cornish pasty, my favourite pie has to be cheese and onion made properly with potatoes. Hubby says it's sacrilege but i prefer pies cold! 😊
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Found something interesting: apart from my local pie shop, there is also this: https://www.therealpieco.co.uk/ - a company based just t'other side of the South Downs from me in Crawley - I have placed an order for a dozen pies!!!
I decided to try them after this (a bit belated). My order arrived today and tried the pasty at lunchtime - it was the best I've tasted.

Will have a steak & potato with some mash later tonight.
Deffo worth the extra money.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 06:48 PM

A Welsh oggie, so big I cut one in half and it does me two meals.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
A Welsh oggie, so big I cut one in half and it does me two meals.
Never heard of it?
May have to look into that..
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I decided to try them after this (a bit belated). My order arrived today and tried the pasty at lunchtime - it was the best I've tasted.

Will have a steak & potato with some mash later tonight.
Deffo worth the extra money.
Too expensive for me...unfortunately thanks to the supermarkets five local butchers have been forced to close in recent years.
One of the few left that made delicious pies has been forced by 'Elf and Safety to cease baking without having a complete refit But he is allowed to sell meat??...I've been in the back and the premises are spotless....defeats me!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

20-07-2017, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Too expensive for me...unfortunately thanks to the supermarkets five local butchers have been forced to close in recent years.
One of the few left that made delicious pies has been forced by 'Elf and Safety to cease baking without having a complete refit But he is allowed to sell meat??...I've been in the back and the premises are spotless....defeats me!
Defeats me as well buddy!
I don't mind paying a bit extra though.

My dad was a butcher and he retired early due to supermarkets as well, and I'm going back quite some time.

Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top