Join for free
Page 24 of 26 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 03:09 PM

Re: Windows 10

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I never noticed TBH. I never shut down my laptop, I always hibernate. It's never given me any issues and means it wakes up instantly as soon as I lift the cover up each morning.
Do you leave it hibernating even if you go away for a few days, or perhaps if you go away on holiday.

I'm sure that you realise that in hibernation it is still using up battery power.

You don't leave it plugged in for days at a time, do you?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Do you leave it hibernating even if you go away for a few days, or perhaps if you go away on holiday.

I'm sure that you realise that in hibernation it is still using up battery power.

You don't leave it plugged in for days at a time, do you?
It's plugged in at home whenever I am using it but at night it gets unplugged and put into hibernation. Before doing that I always disable the WiFi on the laptop as WiFi chews up battery power though I suspect that's probably unnecessary if it's being hibernated.

So next morning there is plenty of battery life anyway.

If I go on holiday my laptop always goes with me, as does my smaller portable netbook for coffee shop surfing. The only exception is if I go on a cruise in which case I only take the netbook.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 10:50 AM

23 pages of thread about Windows 10 and I still haven't read a single post from anyone explaining what specific functionality they are wanting from Windows 10 that justifies doing the upgrade!
Most Windows 10 threads tend to be long. Probably because quite a number of people are installing the OS now. The upgrade isn't plain sailing for everyone. Discussing whether to install it and the problems that arise (or don't arise) is bound to cause many posts.

A direct answer to the quote is that there probably isn't much, if anything, that definitely justifies going from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Nonetheless, I can think of some possible reasons why people might do so. These may or may not be the case:

* People want to upgrade before the free upgrade offer ends (July 29th).

* Perhaps because there's a feeling of getting left behind if the latest OS isn't used.

* Windows 7 or 8 isn't working well and the hope is that Windows 10 will overwrite problems and so remove them.

* Some plain prefer to keep up with releases of operating systems (I've already given that as my reason. I upgraded permanently as soon as I found W.10 worked in a bug-free way).

I think something pointed out earlier in the thread is relevant. This being that if we didn't upgrade operating systems, we'd still all be using Windows 95 (post #182 by Seadog)

When comparing an existing OS to the next one along, there may not be any apparent advantage of changing ..and even plenty of disadvantages. Over the years however, programs have got better, with computers having faster processing power and more detailed graphics. Would this have been possible if Microsoft development had stopped at Window 95? I don't think so but you never know I suppose.

There is an advantage in people being willing to use the latest OS, give feedback on it, solve any problems that arise and pass on general experiences. It all adds to the evolution of operating systems, just as it did with Windows 7.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
* People want to upgrade before the free upgrade offer ends (July 29th).

* Perhaps because there's a feeling of getting left behind if the latest OS isn't used.

* Windows 7 or 8 isn't working well and the hope is that Windows 10 will overwrite problems and so remove them.

* Some plain prefer to keep up with releases of operating systems (I've already given that as my reason. I upgraded permanently as soon as I found W.10 worked in a bug-free way).
And, as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure I can't be the only person to have found that Windows 10 boots up more quickly than Windows 7 and earlier.

Re. your third bullet point, I believe that Windows 7 worked perfectly whereas Windows 8 was a retrograde step. Windows 10 was developed in an attempt to persuade the many people who were disappointed with Windows 8 to remain with Windows instead of going down the Apple or Linux route.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 11:55 AM

In all honesty I haven't really seen any great functionality increase since Win 95.

All I see is a manufacturer who realises that there is no money to be made in developing one single sturdy and reliable operating system, so they make them shaky, unwieldy, with security holes so that they can repeatedly sell us service packs and new versions whilst at the same time, really not offering anything of useful substance in any of the newer versions. They just move all the icons and options around so we can't find them which means we all have to "learn anew" the OS giving the illusion that it is somehow new and significantly different.

Every bullet point you list is simply the result of clever marketing and manufacturing. There is not one meaningful justification for each new OS release. People are saps. I have NEVER once upgraded my Windows OS. Whatever came with my PC or laptop is what I used and when it came to the time where the laptop died and had to be replaced, I took whatever was preloaded. So I've never wasted any money on stupid versions of Windows that delivered nothing of substance to the end user. Never had Vista, never had Windows 8. Given the choice I will also never have Windows 10 but I strongly suspect that the megalomanical world dominating Microsoft will introduce software that most websites will take up but which old Windows versions will cease to work with. For example they will introduce a new version of JavaScript that only works with Windows 10 and once most websites are using that JavaScript version everyone without Windows 10 will be buggered. Same for Adobe Flash and all the other "connected" corporations.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 11:56 AM

And, as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure I can't be the only person to have found that Windows 10 boots up more quickly than Windows 7 and earlier.

Re. your third bullet point, I believe that Windows 7 worked perfectly whereas Windows 8 was a retrograde step. Windows 10 was developed in an attempt to persuade the many people who were disappointed with Windows 8 to remain with Windows instead of going down the Apple or Linux route.
Does your computer have a SSD? Mine has and I think that's mostly the reason it boots so quickly. Windows 7 might boot equally fast on it.

I got on OK with Windows 8 but well, 'tis gone now for me. Even so, there was so much talk about Linux at the time that I installed firstly Ubuntu and went from that to Linux Mint. The latter is very Windows-like. I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a following amongst home users who can't get on with Microsoft's operating systems.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Does your computer have a SSD? Mine has and I think that's mostly the reason it boots so quickly. Windows 7 might boot equally fast on it.

I got on OK with Windows 8 but well, 'tis gone now for me. Even so, there was so much talk about Linux at the time that I installed firstly Ubuntu and went from that to Linux Mint. The latter is very Windows-like. I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a following amongst home users who can't get on with Microsoft's operating systems.
No it doesn't. When I was looking for a new laptop I found articles about SSDs and their supposed advantages. However, having read technical reviews, I learnt that SSDs are not necessarily the all singing, all dancing inclusions they were said to be. The computer I bought came out with faster figures than a competitor which featured SSD.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

28-04-2016, 12:12 PM

In all honesty I haven't really seen any great functionality increase since Win 95.

All I see is a manufacturer who realises that there is no money to be made in developing one single sturdy and reliable operating system, so they make them shaky, unwieldy, with security holes so that they can repeatedly sell us service packs and new versions whilst at the same time, really not offering anything of useful substance in any of the newer versions. They just move all the icons and options around so we can't find them which means we all have to "learn anew" the OS giving the illusion that it is somehow new and significantly different.

Every bullet point you list is simply the result of clever marketing and manufacturing. There is not one meaningful justification for each new OS release. People are saps. I have NEVER once upgraded my Windows OS. Whatever came with my PC or laptop is what I used and when it came to the time where the laptop died and had to be replaced, I took whatever was preloaded. So I've never wasted any money on stupid versions of Windows that delivered nothing of substance to the end user. Never had Vista, never had Windows 8. Given the choice I will also never have Windows 10 but I strongly suspect that the megalomanical world dominating Microsoft will introduce software that most websites will take up but which old Windows versions will cease to work with. For example they will introduce a new version of JavaScript that only works with Windows 10 and once most websites are using that JavaScript version everyone without Windows 10 will be buggered. Same for Adobe Flash and all the other "connected" corporations.
I've bolded a couple of parts of your post Realist.

The first bold: I think one single sturdy and reliable operating system is what Microsoft wants to achieve. Fed up with supporting several operating systems at the same time perhaps.

The second bold: It won't matter how points are put. I've noticed that anyone who doesn't agree with you gets branded similarly.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

28-04-2016, 12:16 PM

No it doesn't. When I was looking for a new laptop I found articles about SSDs and their supposed advantages. However, having read technical reviews, I learnt that SSDs are not necessarily the all singing, all dancing inclusions they were said to be. The computer I bought came out with faster figures than a competitor which featured SSD.
I'll have to time Mrs mart's computer. Windows 10 without a SSD but not such high specification computer in general as mine. That might slow it down a bit compared to your own figures perhaps.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-04-2016, 12:18 PM

They just move all the icons and options around so we can't find them which means we all have to "learn anew" the OS giving the illusion that it is somehow new and significantly different.
This is undoubtedly true.

Whilst I appreciate (as I said) the faster boot-up time of Windows 10, I was dismayed to see how the interface was completely different to what I was used to with W7.
Even after having made the necessary improvements to make it look more like W7, I still find that when I want to locate a specific installed programme, for example, I have to go searching in unfamiliar territory. Even when I have managed to locate the new 'All Apps' feature, I sometimes cannot find a programme that I know must be there somewhere.
Yes, in some respects I found W7 easier to use though perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to the new system. But why, as you say, did they need to change things that didn't need changing?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Page 24 of 26 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top