Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Re: Apologies

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
However, if you say... "I'm sorry I upset you... BUT.. that wasn't what I meant, or perhaps you misunderstood" isn't that taking away from the apology? On the otherhand.. shouldn't you be able to let the person know that they misunderstood.?
I would sort of go with this. If I felt I had been misunderstood, I apologise first for offending the person who is upset. But if the offence was totally unintentional, and a result of misunderstanding, I also try to explain that it was unintentional.

Maybe depends a bit on the person who takes offence, though, because some will not care whether it is intentional or not.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=orangutan;353279]I would sort of go with this. If I felt I had been misunderstood, I apologise first for offending the person who is upset. But if the offence was totally unintentional, and a result of misunderstanding, I also try to explain that it was unintentional. QUOTE]

I would agree with that Orangutan. I'd hate someone to think I was hurtful if it wasn't true and they had got hold of the wrong end of the stick entirely.
Like I said earlier, we must also be prepared to take some of the responsibility, especially if we were in a tired or 'ratty' frame of mind to start with. It's easy to find fault when you're in a bad mood anyway.
If I upset someone without realising it I would probably say sorry and give them a hug, butwould also tell them I hadn't meant any such thing and apologise if I felt it had come out all wrong.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I think a lot of people are ok with apologizing.. however feel the need to add a caveat relieving themselves of some of the responsibility and putting it on the shoulders of the other. Like saying.. I'm sorry you took my comments the wrong way.. but it was not my intention to hurt your feelings. Now THAT imo is not a genuine apology.
I suppose it will depend upon the situation. Some people do take offence very, very quickly at the slightest thing so maybe the one offering the apology does have the right to say that offence wasn't intended but on reflection, could have worded it better but is still entitled to their opinion.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 11:52 AM

Also it makes a difference if we are talking internet forum apologies or real life, I find in real life I rarely take offence and rarely need to apologise as words are easily interpreted but on forums I am apologising quite often for misunderstanding and causing offense where none was meant. Words with no facial expression can easily be misinterpreted.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Also it makes a difference if we are talking internet forum apologies or real life, I find in real life I rarely take offence and rarely need to apologise as words are easily interpreted but on forums I am apologising quite often for misunderstanding and causing offense where none was meant. Words with no facial expression can easily be misinterpreted.

I completely agree. I often think I offend someone, or they misinterpret me, when its never anything of the sort.
I am a happy go lucky smiley type of person and the last thing I ever intend to do is upset anyone.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 12:17 PM

That is very true, the lack of facial expression can cause a lot of misunderstandings on forums, the smilies and laughies (I know there's no such word but you know what I mean) help, although I think someone was recently complaining about the overuse of smilies, not 100% sure on that.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 12:32 PM

The smillies are very helpful Jem and should be used in the right context ...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
The smillies are very helpful Jem and should be used in the right context ...
True, and here's a big one for you Pats on this lovely day.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 01:08 PM

I'm 'so' happy ......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I suppose it will depend upon the situation. Some people do take offence very, very quickly at the slightest thing so maybe the one offering the apology does have the right to say that offence wasn't intended but on reflection, could have worded it better but is still entitled to their opinion.
I agree with that BV, you put these things better than me, but I mean the same.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top