Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Re: It's -7 outside bad for rough sleepers

At some point, if this cold weather persists or returns, there will be deaths amongst those sleeping rough. If it happens and is reported - expect anger and venom from me targetted at the scumbag 'nasty party' government!!!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
At some point, if this cold weather persists or returns, there will be deaths amongst those sleeping rough. If it happens and is reported - expect anger and venom from me targetted at the scumbag 'nasty party' government!!!
If Brighton council don't supply shelters for the homeless you could always invite one or two to stay at your house.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If Brighton council don't supply shelters for the homeless you could always invite one or two to stay at your house.

No Judd, not going to be here for Xmas.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Lol at the usual ignorant vitriol from the aging dinosaur !

As the more "genuine" poster stated earlier, these people CHOOSE to sleep rough. It is their life choice, end of.

The vast majority have drink/drug addiction issues and as a result of that they actually turn down or refuse the various accommodation that is being offered to them.

Again this is a LIFE CHOICE they are making.

There is no point harbouring the typical feelings of public guilt and sadness at what they perceive are just unfortunate poor people living on the streets. It's a myth, a fantasy.

These people are getting benefits. They have money. They CAN walk into shelters and accommodation tomorrow, or even tonight. They chose not to expend their available monies on accommodation and food. We can't stop that, it is their choice, they are free to live as they wish to live. Their choice is to buy drink and drugs with the money in preference to accommodation, good food and good health.

No government is at fault here.

It's a global problem to tackle the drug industries and the supplies on the streets.

Meanwhile, there are lots of charities and support services that exist to provide limited support to these people. They have places to "hang out" during the day when they are wasted, where they can get a hot drink, a bit of breakfast and often a lunchtime meal too.

In the end however, there exists a "Cycle Of Change" which any person must get through in order to free themselves from their current lifestyle. It's a long haul and many go around the cycle multiple times. Many don't even begin to engage with the cycle, they don't yet want to change, just like many smokers don't.

As a society we can offer limited help to this whole demographic but there is absolutely no point us creating a completely free haven for them because all that does is make a life of drink and drugs more appealing, more secure, more easy to embrace.

We can provide them with clothing and blankets and the like, but in most cases they will simply sell those items on for cash. I been there and wasted my own money buying really good warm clothes for some of them only to find they are gone a week later. It's futile giving stuff to them.

You have to understand the routine they are locked into and the constant need for more money to get their next "hit".

When I am round and about my local city I carry a supply of emergency foil blankets with me which I hand out to the rougher of the "spare me some change please" merchants. They are light and easy for them to carry and will help keep them warm in this weather.

In the final analysis though, these people are not homeless, do not need to be sleeping rough and are choosing this life style.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

As the more "genuine" poster stated earlier, these people CHOOSE to sleep rough. It is their life choice, end of.

The vast majority have drink/drug addiction issues and as a result of that they actually turn down or refuse the various accommodation that is being offered to them.

There is no point harbouring the typical feelings of public guilt and sadness at what they perceive are just unfortunate poor people living on the streets. It's a myth, a fantasy.

These people are getting benefits. They have money. They CAN walk into shelters and accommodation tomorrow, or even tonight. They chose not to expend their available monies on accommodation and food. We can't stop that, it is their choice, they are free to live as they wish to live. Their choice is to buy drink and drugs with the money in preference to accommodation, good food and good health.

It's a global problem to tackle the drug industries and the supplies on the streets.

Meanwhile, there are lots of charities and support services that exist to provide limited support to these people. They have places to "hang out" during the day when they are wasted, where they can get a hot drink, a bit of breakfast and often a lunchtime meal too.

In the end however, there exists a "Cycle Of Change" which any person must get through in order to free themselves from their current lifestyle. It's a long haul and many go around the cycle multiple times. Many don't even begin to engage with the cycle, they don't yet want to change, just like many smokers don't.

As a society we can offer limited help to this whole demographic but there is absolutely no point us creating a completely free haven for them because all that does is make a life of drink and drugs more appealing, more secure, more easy to embrace.

We can provide them with clothing and blankets and the like, but in most cases they will simply sell those items on for cash. I been there and wasted my own money buying really good warm clothes for some of them only to find they are gone a week later. It's futile giving stuff to them.

You have to understand the routine they are locked into and the constant need for more money to get their next "hit".

When I am round and about my local city I carry a supply of emergency foil blankets with me which I hand out to the rougher of the "spare me some change please" merchants. They are light and easy for them to carry and will help keep them warm in this weather.

In the final analysis though, these people are not homeless, do not need to be sleeping rough and are choosing this life style.
I agree and I was homeless for 10 years, was caught in a vicious circle but ultimately it was my own choice, no two ways about it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 04:04 AM

You'll be pleased to know that we are suffering too. Tomorrow is predicted to be 38°C and humidity is hovering about 60-70% (normally 20% ish).

Today it is a modest 33°C but 74% humidity.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 05:15 AM

Send a taxi. I'll be right there...

with ice cream.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

There are actually families out there these days realist, when Sally Army goes round at night they are finding kids ! Please don't assume it's all choice or drink and drugs, some of it is simply cannot afford a home. And the temporary b and bs as we found recently are not all nice warm clean places, I'm still convinced the first one they sent us to had bed bugs !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:18 AM

Are you sure ?
I find it hard to believe that there are children on the street .
Families are always given some shelter even if it's B and B .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:31 AM

If you are made homeless after 4.30pm there is no one to help, go to the council they've all gone home.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top